Ikelite TZ10/ZS7 housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vicp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone here use or has used/seen the Ikelite housing for the Lumix TZ10/ZS7?

Most of the posters here that use the ZS7 underwater seem to use the OEM (Panasonic DMW-MCTZ10) housing. I have not been able to find anyone using the Ikelite. Is this because the Ikelite is fairly new, more expensive, or is there some other reason?

I was about to buy the OEM housing, but it went on backorder at B&H (others seem to charge substantially more) and am now considering the Ikelite (not really interested in the 10Bar – maybe at some other time for a more upscale camera).

The Ikelite is rated to 200’ while the OEM is 130’. Is the Ikelite better built/sealed? While some may argue that 130’ is the recreational limit, doing deco/cave one can get close to or exceed these limits, even if only rarely. It is good to have the extra headroom.

The Ikelite can be serviced/repaired in Indiana at Ikelite. Answers to technical issues are a phone call away. What is the service/repair/parts chain for the OEM? It has been suggested that this may be a “throw-away” housing in the case of any serious issue.

Anything else that one should be aware of between these 2 housings (internal flash shadow, adaptability of accessories, etc.) that may make either a better value?

Ikelite owners (especially w/TZ10/ZS7 housings) please chime in!

Thanks

Does ANYBODY have an Ikelite for the TZ10/ZS7?

BTW, Ikelite just listed an LX5 housing on their site.

They are just starting to make housings for Panasonics but if they don't sell, they will discontinue considering future ones. This would be bad for Panasonic fans, of which I am one. It would be nice to have a choice between the OEM and a very small handfull of fairly expensive housings. I was about to buy the OEM, but could find absolutely no information on parts (o-rings, etc.) or service, even from Panasonic (spent an hour on the phone with them going between sales and parts)!!

Thanks

if you want to get the factory housing, you might want to check B&H's site again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom