Ikelite vs Sealife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chasitymarie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm looking into getting an underwater camera for xmas.
I was just wondering if anyone has owned these camera's before.
My LDS speaks highly of the Ikelite, but my instructor likes Sealife.
I know different camera's have different specs, etc. I'm just looking for an overall type review of the cameras.

I plan on going back to my LDS when I have time & playing with the cameras to see which I enjoy, feel comfortable with, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hello, Got an Ikelite casing for my Canon Sd-800 and never had a problem. Just make sure once you buy your casing to also buy some extra o-rings and lub. Another thing to consider is lighting. Ahhh thats where things get pretty expensive...:) But like I said I like my Ikelite casing. It seems to be pretty heavy outside the water but once in the water it is (+) bouyent. It just gives you the confidence that the material is durable. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Hi Chasitymarie, I own the Sea&Sea DX-1G system and I love it. You may want to explore the new DX-2G system. It can be used as a point and shoot camera but also can be used in full manual mode. The camera also works great as a top side camera as well. I used it for our trip to Cairo Egypt and diving in the Red Sea and was very impressed with its capabilities. It has a short lag time (time between when you press the shutter button and when the camera actually takes the pic), is compact, and expandable. There is a wide angle lens and a close-up lens that you can purchase. I would also suggest that you get a strobe so that you will capture the color of the fish and reef. If you click on my 'photos' link under my name and check the Turks and Caicos as well as the Eleuthera gallaries to see some pics taken with my camera. The Galapagos pics were also taken with the DX--1G. My Fiji pics were taken the older Sea&Sea 8000G.

I noticed that your profile indicates that you have less 24 dives, before you get into underwater photography I would recommend that you feel very comfortable with you skills and have very good buoyancy skills. I would also recommend a couple of online underwater photo courses that I took. I took the "Introduction to Digital Underwater Photography" and the "Digital Workflow & Image Manipulation for Underwater Photography" found at this site: The Underwater Photographer, Underwater Digital Photography Classes: Improve your underwater photos. They were both excellent, very helpful, and reasonably priced. Bonnie and Marty were very helpful in that if I had a question while taking the course I could email them and get an answer very quickly. If you have any questions, email me at jamescrew6@verizon.net

Regards,

Bill

Back
Top Bottom