I'm baffled...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ian T

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Howdy all...

Was out diving last week - a fantastic dive with sharks, rays, nudies, seahorses and this:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/2120
tried to add the pictures as attachments but the upload failed on me and I grew bored...(c8

The pictures are not quite as sharp as I had hoped for - they are captures from a video - too big to upload (some of us aren't using cable or broadband...)

Anyway; the pictures were taken off Oman (Western Indian Ocean/Arabian Sea), depth is about 22m. The critter is about 10cm (4") in diameter, height 4-6cm (2-2,5"). The disc is brownish/black, the gills or whatever they are on top are whitish with a dark fringe. It was swimming when I saw it but stopped as I got closer. The movement can be described as a mix between a ray, a jellyfish and a cuttlefish - not sure if that makes it clearer, but it was moving the disc to propel itself.
I don't even know where to start looking for it.

Archman, you're good with the slimey/creepy/crawly stuff...any clues?

cheers
Ian

please get these photo's thru photoshop
op something like ACDC and get some color correction
:11::11::11:

Since I don't know the correct colors, I'm not sure I want to start manipulating the images...

its un updide down jellyfish. In Florida the genus is Cassiopea or something close to that i think

Thanks a lot.
Never even heard about it before...

Cheers
Ian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom