I'm coming to Florida! (for a visit)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pt40fathoms

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'll be in Florida from Feb 25th till March 6, and my first visit will be to 40 Fathoms Grotto for the first few days. After that its up for grabs where I go.

Its my first time to Florida, I'll be flying into Tampa, and would like to dive a few wrecks in the area if that is possible. I may even take an intro into cave diving, seeing as we have no caves anywhere near here. It would be nice to take a peek at what all of you have been talking about for so long.

SO, what exposure suits will I need? I'm used to diving in waters that are just above freezing temps almost year round. But my guess is that its a little warmer in those parts. Should I bring my 5/4/3 wet suit, or just pack my trilam and light underwhere?

Oh, and if anyone from around those parts wants to give a half frozen Canadian the grand tour, that would be great as well.

I wouldn't stay at 40 fathoms for a few days, it's a hole in the ground. Your best bet would be to go to the east coast. South FL is nice, so is the keys. Weather isn't getting any better in j-ville, so the SE is probably the way to go.

Not so hot down here right now either but hopefully by the end of Feburary...

There are 2 well known wrecks off of Clearwater, the Sheridan(ocean tug) and the Blackthorn(USCG). However I have never been able to dive them. The 3 times we tried to do the Sheridan something always stopped us, fishing boats on the wreck, weather, etc. Far as I am aware the Sheridan is pretty intact, but the Blackthorn is broken up. I can be your tour guide though if you want to go to Venice Beach and look for fossilized sharks teeth.

Erik

The boats out of Tampa area are a long haul to the best sites and are on the cooler side (50's-60's - i know thats bathwater for you). The east coast is a little warmer and get deeper a bit quicker. Cave country is only about 2-3 hours drive from Tampa. If you are thinking of doing a course, look into accom up in that area (north of Gainesville, maybe in High Springs or Branford) or else you will have a bunch of road time. I would do the trilam thing with light/medium undies - i wear 200wt and am toasty all day in 60's and 70's, i might be able to get away with less, but not less than 100wt for hours in the water (like 5+).

Thanks for the replies so far!

I'll most definately take up any offers to help "tour" the area for as long as possible.

The reason for 40 Fathoms Grotto, is simply because I'll be meeting an instructor freind there, who will be completing a course I took with him this summer. Due to logistics and weather we could not complete all phases of the course, so he kindly offered to give me a break from the cold this winter and complete it in Florida. After the weekend, I'll be staying and play "tourist" till my departure.

So the good wrecks are a few hours away, and from what I gather, in the opposite direction of Cave Country. Hmmm this could be interesting..... :06:

It would be nice to take an intro to cave by someone who is on this board. But it would also be nice to get a tour of some wrecks as well.

Oh well, if I time it right, I may be able to do both? Don't see why not, I have absolutely no schedule to follow, and will be traveling wherever and whenever. At least untill the day before my flight back to the Great White North...Brrrrrrr.

I arrive in Tampa on Thursday Feb 24th at 5 PM. and leave via Tampa on Saturday March 5th at 7:30 AM. Will be renting a car for the time I'm in Florida, and I'm not at all picky about accomodations. Clean, Quiet, Cheap, is all I need. I'll have most of my dive gear, sans tanks and lead naturally.

simbrooks:
The boats out of Tampa area are a long haul to the best sites and are on the cooler side (50's-60's - i know thats bathwater for you). The east coast is a little warmer and get deeper a bit quicker. Cave country is only about 2-3 hours drive from Tampa. If you are thinking of doing a course, look into accom up in that area (north of Gainesville, maybe in High Springs or Branford) or else you will have a bunch of road time. I would do the trilam thing with light/medium undies - i wear 200wt and am toasty all day in 60's and 70's, i might be able to get away with less, but not less than 100wt for hours in the water (like 5+).

Sad but true, 50's to 60's IS like bath water. :eyebrow:

I think your right, Trilam it is for exposure suit, no sense packing neoprene. Heck without undies it's nice and cool in bath water, just like I like it.

Can you fly into Tampa and out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami? If that's possible then you could drive down this way after your class is finished and check out some of the great wreck diving wround these parts for a few days and then fly out right from here. There are plenty of people here that would be glad to show you around.

Padipro:
Can you fly into Tampa and out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami? If that's possible then you could drive down this way after your class is finished and check out some of the great wreck diving wround these parts for a few days and then fly out right from here. There are plenty of people here that would be glad to show you around.

Flights can always be changed, for a price naturally.

I'll look into the flight schedules and let you know. I don't think it will be a problem, Air Canada has scheduled flights to Miami.

pt40fathoms,

I'm a native of Tampa Bay, and fellow instructor. I like your signature!

The wrecks of the Blackthorn, Sheridan and Seafood Barge are all on the same site and are great dives. They're 21 nmiles out of St Petersburg, which is just an average distance for moderate offshore dives here.

I'm going there tomorrow for a prep dive for a newspaper story. The Blackthorn is soon having a 25th anniversary of the sinking. (It was the largest peace-time disaster in USCG history.) The three wrecks are a swimable distance apart, and we cross between them often. There are plenty of other good dives, like our ledges and offshore sink holes. Most are loaded with fish life from common 500+ lbs Goliaths to more rare 10 pound spiny lobsters. It is a spearfishing paradise!

The weather is bound to be decent at some point while you are here. Send me an e-mail.

Chad
727-423-7775
cubera@ij.net

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom