I'm getting my gear in 2 days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lobbolt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've decided to get a mares bcd and the proton ice reg, and probably a nemo computer. Since my instructor imports mares stuff here. What do you think?

Go dive with it and have fun. That's what it's all about.

lobbolt:
I've decided to get a mares bcd and the proton ice reg, and probably a nemo computer. Since my instructor imports mares stuff here. What do you think?

My experience is that it's very important that you can have your gear serviced locally(especially under warranty) without having to send it overseas. I've had nothing but headaches from a couple of things that I brought with me from Canada when I moved to Europe.

My Sherwood regulator, for example, can only be maintained by one shop in the whole of Holland and they are, to put it mildly, incompetent and untrustworthy (not to mention slow). I recently heard that they stopped selling Sherwood gear too so my problems are only getting worse. :monkeydan

My Genesis computer is also something entirely new to Europeans and I've had trouble with it on a couple of occasions and needed to send it back to the shop in Canada where I bought it to have it serviced. The last time I did this the shop replaced the computer with a new one and customs tried taxing me for the "import" because the serial numbers didn't match up. My computer was stuck in limbo for something like 6 weeks while customs "evaluated" the paper-trail I sent them.....:angry2: It's acting up again but this time I'm just going to replace it. :jpshakehe

Just make sure you look into these kinds of things if you're importing gear from overseas. These kinds of problems are no fun at all.

R..

Mares makes solid gear which is great for rec. diving.
Besides the fact that your instructor is importing the stuff so you'll have someone to service it, it's nice to know that Mares is one of the oldest and most popular companies around the world which makes servicing your gear when travelling fairly easy.
Be safe and have fun with your new gear.

Back
Top Bottom