Im thinking about a trip to Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

I am Bubble. I moved from Houston to Miami 4 years ago and I got finally certified las Junes. I have been having a great time diving in Miami and the Keys.

You will have multiple options: nice reefs for a shallow dive or deep dive exploring a wreck.

I found an interesting guide which I think it will give you some option of what you can find in the keys:

The Florida Keys Internet Guide

Sorry I do not have something similar for Fort Lauderdale or Miami/Key Biscayne area.

Hope It will help.....

Have fun..:)

Miles (and others who might visit Key Largo),

I have a narrowed-down list of dive operators for Key Largo. I was looking for 6 Packs or Crew Boats with a max diver limit of around 12. I did leave 2 of the better Cattle Boats (45 ft Cats) on the list, and I have a link to a Dolphin Encounter as well.

I have emailed the Operators to get more details, and will nail down my best pick based on their responses.

If you want to see my list (it has price summaries and links to the Operator's websites), click on my website below, then click on the "Dive Documents" link at the bottom of the page.

Let me know if you run across any definitive info for Key Largo.

Also, there is only one boat I would recommend if you stop in Destin, FL (halfway between Pensacola and Panama City). I dive with the "Sea Cobra" which is owned by ScubaTech.

Hi Stone,

Thank you for the information. I go to Key Largo very often, actually I might go for new year's but I how the the weather will be for diving due to the "cold" front.

Do you know if he has any pre schedule departures or it is just for charter?

Thank you anyway

Sorry.... here it goes again...

Hi Stone,

Thank you for the information. I go to Key Largo very often. Actually, I might go for new year's but I do not know how the weather will be for diving due to the "cold" front coming to Miami and the Keys.

I really hope it will be nice to go out diving or fishing. Prefer diving as since I started doing it, I feel guilt fishing my friends the fishes even I let them go as usually they are too small...... You know we became friends when I started visiting them.

Thank you anyway

Originally posted by Bubble
Sorry.... here it goes again...

Hi Stone,

Thank you for the information. I go to Key Largo very often. Actually, I might go for new year's but I do not know how the weather will be for diving due to the "cold" front coming to Miami and the Keys.

I really hope it will be nice to go out diving or fishing. Prefer diving as since I started doing it, I feel guilt fishing my friends the fishes even I let them go as usually they are too small...... You know we became friends when I started visiting them.

Thank you anyway

Bubble,

I can't tell from your post which dive operator you are refering to. All the operators listed on my website make daily trips (usually around 8:00 AM and 1:00 PM).

So far, I've received replies from "Ocean Divers" and "Silent World". I hear good things about "Ocean Divers", but their boats hold 32 divers and they are the most expensive operator. "Silent World's" 2 boats carry a max of 12 and 14 divers, respectively, and they are the least expensive.

Ocean Divers: 3 days including tanks & weights = $195
Silent World: 3 days including tanks & weights = $135

$60 times 3 people will make me think twice :rolleyes:

I'm still trying get as much info as I can!

Hello Stone....

Thank you for the reply.

You are right I, did not mention which operator, I was making reference to "HMS Minnow". I checked his web page and I it looks good and interesting.

I believe that the comment under " Key Largo - HMS Minnow is the way to go! " from your link sounds like a good reference anyway, please let me know what you find out.

Thank you again and Happy New Year,

Brgds,

Miles and Bubble and others interested in Key Largo,

I've received two more responses from Operators on my list.

If you want to see my list (it has price summaries and links to the Operator's websites), click on my website below, then click on the "Dive Documents" link at the bottom of the page.
1) Quiescence can only carry 6 divers (I am taking 7 divers), they have no head on the boat (I am taking 3 Lady divers), and charges $57 (they did not offer a discount )

2) Capt Slate can carry any number of divers, has heads on his boats, and offers a good group discount ($49). You can clean and store your gear in a special area.

So far Capt Slate and Silent World are looking pretty good, but I am still waiting for HMS Minnow to send me more info.

Hello Stone,

First, Happy New Year.

Thank you for the update.

Take care

Hey there,

I'm new to this site but not to diving in the Keys..... been living and working down here for more than a year

You might want to try moving a little south of Key Largo (only about 10 miles) to a great spot called Tavernier

The reefs are great and not as well "travelled" as KL. You tend top get less snorkellers on board so the ops can take you to some pretty ledges also.

This time of year the boats are not full and lots of ops will take the boat out with only two or three persons on board a big 40 ft boat.

I would recommend my favorite shop...the crew is excellent, friendly and not stuck on the "one hour only" time slot. (This applies only if they have no trip following yours).

The shop is called Tavernier Dive Center and they have packages with local motels and condos. Also lots of good restuarants in the area.

www.tavernierdivecenter.com

Good luck and maybe we will see you in the water.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom