Image theft... what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hvulin:
Eventhough it's very easy to make a copy of any public picture on the web you aren't allowed to make a copy and hang it on your wall without permission. Another thing is how many people still do it.

I don't quite get your argument on other media (piracy tax) thingie. Yes we have the same thing in Finland and I think it's silly to tax you for something you could do but then again it doesn't make pirating any mor legal. Yes I've done my share I ain't no angel but I don't claim it's even morally ok.

Even if it's on the net it is protected by the same laws as it was in a store. Stealing from the net is just easier. It doesn't make it any more legal though.

Just my five cents nothing personal :)

hvulin:
putting a picture on the web is like printing it and leaving it on the street....

anyone can take it and use it...

web IS public space...

This just isn't true. Sure anyone can take anything from the web - but not legally. You can't take images that are not in the public domain, sell them, display them as your own, or whatever.

Works put on the Internet are considered “published” and therefore qualify for copyright protection.

hvulin:
putting a picture on the web is like printing it and leaving it on the street....

web IS public space...

Completely untrue. I did see somewhere that in cases where individuals or companies had taken time to actually register their photos ahead of time, it was an open and shut case and there have been awards of up to 150K per incident. No copyright info is even needed on the page. Problem being, it does cost something like 45 bucks to register a page of images and most people just don't bother. Without the registration, you've gotta prove a few more things and it gets expensive to prosecute... doesn't make it legal.

hvulin:

web IS public space...

That's completely untrue but sadly the way most teenagers think :( I know since it ain't so many years passed since I was one :)

Stealing images and other media through web is very easy but it doesn't make it any more legal than stealing stuff from stores etc.

Sure anyone can take anything from the web - but not legally.

I understand it is not legal. I think the point he is making, is that there are many laws on the books (down to what you do in your BR), that people ignore, in reality.

You can preach the morality and the law all day, but if it is happening...are your opinions very relavent? It is not personal (I don't take images), but at some point to post them without a logo through the middle, like Mike's, is just very naive. And to then whine, and complain bitterly about the morality of it. It strikes me as silly. Especially, if you are reluctant to call the guy.

And by the way...it isn't "the law" that makes me not take images. And unless you have never burned a movie, and ignored the big FBI warning, then... focus on practical ways to deter a person from taking your work.

So...question: Are the people here who are citing the law really saying they have not burned a friend's movie?

catherine96821:
I understand it is not legal. I think the point he is making, is that there are many laws on the books (down to what you do in your BR), that people ignore, in reality.

You can preach the morality and the law all day, but if it is happening...are your opinions very relavent? It is not personal (I don't take images), but at some point to post them without a logo through the middle, like Mike's, is just very naive. And to then whine, and complain bitterly about the morality of it. It strikes me as silly. Especially, if you are reluctant to call the guy.

And by the way...it isn't "the law" that makes me not take images. And unless you have never burned a movie, and ignored the big FBI warning, then... focus on practical ways to deter a person from taking your work.

So...question: Are the people here who are citing the law really saying they have not burned a friend's movie?

Casting stones and all that. This really is true, isn't it? People only get upset about things when they happen to them. No one comes on here to post that they've just downloaded an image or a video or a song and how badly they feel for whoever created it and the injustice of it all. :rofl3:

In reality, your point is a good one. And, in a way, it is like leaving something on the street unattended. It's not right for someone to take it, there is probably a law about someone taking it, but, at the end of the day, you're most likely going be doing without whatever it was you left on the street unattended.

And, unless it is worth a lot, there really won't be much you can do about it.

BTW, I'm not advocating stealing anyones property. I'd never do it. I live in a glass house. :D

catherine96821:

Personally, I don't copy movies, music or software. I have utilized my wife's student discount to put a program on my computer, so I'm brreaking the word of the law there.

I"m not overly tweaked at the guy, but I am going to have a conversation with him and see what happens. My feeling is that people in our buisness should present their own images on thier websites, or be prepared to hire someone to create images for them. Taking photos from someone else and essentially representing them as yours is bad form.... and though tough to prosecute, illegal.

Anyway it's an interesting topic for a photo forum. There apparently are ways to register websites and images on websites so you'd have easier legal recourse. If I ever got to where I was considering selling my pix, I'd probably look into it.

Later,

I'll repeat: Web IS public space! Maybe it's not the law but that's how it works...

Web is so public that if I put a black picture on it most US citizens will call FBI and say that it might be a bomb :) (since it's there and they don't know what it is - they just have to pass by and see it)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom