IMAX 3D next spring!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That looks awesome but could you actually see anything about where and when in 2009 it would launch?

No sign of a date/place for the launch, but if you click the IMAX link on bottom left, you can get on their mailing list (ie. not just for this movie). I suspect it will launch in USA and will make it to other IMAX screens around the world during the year. It looks as though it is in early stages, as there is mention of 'coming soon' on the 'Webisode' map.

Maybe they will announce the actual release date on the site eventually!

The launch has now been annunced. Only UK location is London so far, but it will show in loads of (mainly US) sites from February 13th (just a couple of days time!). There is a list of the IMAX locations that will show it on the release date at the following site:
http://newsletter.imax.com/t/377561/2520296/297/0/
(click the Buy Tickets button)

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I'm sure this is a new production, but I remember years and years back when I was in junior high we went to an Imax production that was set in the ocean..... and it was in 3D too! Hopefully it is something new and not just a re-release, but either way I remember it being pretty awesome.

Unfortunately the times that it is showing in my area suck considering it is only playing when I am out of town. Hopefully it sticks around for a while because we would love to see it.

This is a totally new production. As I said in an earlier post, the site had previews during the filming. I think the older 3D IMAX was called 'Deep Sea' and is still doing the rounds. No doubt this one will be around again. Unlike 'normal' movies, IMAX films tend to repeat regularly.

I wish I could see this, but the last time I saw an IMAX 3D, it didn't go so well (with my imperfect eyes, I saw something roughly halfway between what you're supposed to see with the 3D glasses and what you see without them), not sure if it's playing around here anyway.
To anybody who gets to see it, enjoy.

I just saw this in Chicago. It was really well done. I normally don't go for 3D stuff, but this had a good many "wow" moments in it (particularly a specific scene with snakes). Very nice footage and the husband and wife team were on site to discuss the film. Really nice people who are obviously passionate about diving.

Beyond the movie it self, which I really enjoyed, the discussion after the movie was fascinating. They went into a bit around the filming process. I wish they'd put a bit of info online about it. Apparently they had ~3 minutes of film in the camera and the time to reload the camera was somewhere between 30 minutes to an hour. To avoid constant deco the primary film team would stay down and a secondary would retrieve the camera, bring it to the surface, change the film, then bring it back down to the primary team. The primary team was at times down for 6 hours.

The entire thing took ~2 years to make from beginning to end. That's a lot of commitment to a project. You kind of have to keep that in mind when it seems to go by so quickly in the theater. :wink:

We saw this on Friday. The 3D was so good that in the snake scene my wife (and about 50 others in the theater) was waving her hands in front of her trying to shoo them away, and when they showed the potato cod my 2 year old girl yelled "don't eat me!" (the other patrons were more amused than annoyed). My 4 year old daughter is fascinated with sea life and SCUBA, and she loved the movie.

It is a great movie, and was well worth the expense ($15/adult, $12 for kids 3 and over).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom