Immature snapper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_C

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This little fellow was hanging out with a hogfish in Jules. So the environment was shallow near a mangrove area. I cannot pin it down. My best guess is an immature grey snapper due to the eye stripe, dark tail. Pictures I have seen are more silvery but the fish is supposed to get darker and have a darker eyestripe in shallow habitats.

Does this sound right or is there another critter it should be? It is a lot more yellowish then the other pictures I have seen.

Attachments

• snapper.jpg
    snapper.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 110
The whole photo seems to have a yellowish cast Steve so if you tone it down a bit, the fish may look more "normal". P100 of Humann's Caribbean fish guide, shows a dark phase Gray Snapper which matches yours pretty well apart from the white undersides yours is displaying.
Hope this helps

That may be it. They can vary a lot. I had wondered if the white was due to flash overloading but that part curves away from the camera and that is not where you would expect a hot spot and it is very uniform. The water was green. I did try toning the yellow down on your suggestion and that did make it look more like a dark phase grey.

yes, it is a grey snapper- they can turn their stripe on and off and can match their background- if in green water, will look sort of green.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom