⚠️IMPORTANT WARNING FOR ALL DIVERS ⚠️ Fast-spreading lethal disease (potentially SCTLD) has reached Bonaire’s reefs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake 10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199

⚠️
IMPORTANT WARNING FOR ALL DIVERS
⚠️
A fast-spreading lethal disease (potentially SCTLD) has reached Bonaire’s reefs. Our primary focus is to limit the spread of this disease and minimize the damage as much and as quickly as possible.

ALL divers, please abide by the following:

⚠️
Decontaminate all gear BEFORE, BETWEEN, and AFTER every dive. Proper decontamination protocol: https://bit.ly/3KdjD50

⚠️
Dive within areas of same concern – do NOT move between areas of different concern within the same day. This map by STINAPA shows areas where the disease is actively spreading, areas where caution is advised, and areas of no concern. Divers are encouraged to dive in the green zone ONLY – but if you have to travel between areas of different concern levels, please be extra stringent when disinfecting your gear.

⚠️
Practice perfect buoyancy – it’s more important than ever before to avoid touching anything.
Please refer to this updated STINAPA map: https://arcg.is/0Dbf0u1
We are asking for the collaboration of ALL divers in the face of this disease - only together, we can limit the spread and the impact it has on Bonaire’s coral reefs.
May be an image of map and text

could there be a correlation between the Siphonophore, the Cruise Ship, and the coral dying?

Deadly coral disease sweeping Caribbean linked to water from ships​

This article is more than 1 year old
Researchers find ‘significant relationship’ between stony coral tissue loss disease and nearby shipping

A virulent and fast-moving coral disease that has swept through the Caribbean could be linked to waste or ballast water from ships, according to research.
The deadly infection, known as stony coral tissue loss disease (SCTLD), was first identified in Florida in 2014, and has since moved through the region, causing great concern among scientists.

It spreads faster than most coral diseases and has an unusually high mortality rate among the species most susceptible to it, making it potentially the most deadly disease ever to affect corals. More than 30 species of coral are susceptible.

I wonder how this is being handled on the island, if there is any notification going on there. I was last there in December and likely won't return until 2024 because I'm going to a few other places.

Is Curacao going through the same issue right now, or did they already get hit by SCTLD? I'm only asking because I don't have any clue (I'm headed there in October this year) if it has or not, but I'd think they would be going through the same thing right now if it was the cruise ships since those itineraries almost always go to both Bonaire and Curacao.

You may want to check STINAPA BONAIRE for up to date information on the issue

Cruise are supposed to dump once they reach port. Instead they dump on open seas, because the less time spent dumping on port then the less $$$ to pay that country.
I've heard that many times it is just cheaper to pay the fine for dumping effluence in open water than it is to pay to have disposed of legally at the dock.

How big of a tanker truck would one need to carry all that poop? And where does it go? I picture the size of some of the cruisers I've seen on Coz and their corresponding turd size... dear lord.

Back
Top Bottom