Improving video color

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used Pinnacle Studio for many years. The color correction I do is very subtle (as per drbill). It's pretty straight forward in Pinnacle, you select a clip or range of clips and select color balance. You can also slomo some or all of the clips. This helps when your floatin' in a freight train current. I haven't found that either of these adjustments slows dvd production. Hope this helps.

White balance can do miracles, beyond 60ft, but the impact drops off faster after 60! Red filter work great, but nothing beats good lights! Having said that the better you start the better you finish, just like still photography! The mind is a funny thing! When people see the popping reds and yellows in a video they always say "That's just how I remember it" and the "Colors are how I remember them"! The Brain adds color without even thinking about it! In fact the less you do think about it the more colorful you'll remember it having! It is a strange phenomenon, but ask people after a dive in tropical waters and they will describe colors they couldn't have seen! So I shoot for truer color of the mind and not the eye! :wink:

BTW Avid bought Pinnacle a couple years ago! Also you can fix just about anything with money! :wink:

I definitely agree with PapaBear. White correction works above 60ft. ...but... you have to select the correct "white". This can be done through several frames/clips by finding something you "know" is white. It can be a piece of fluorescent white plastic, a piece of "white" sand...or...something you make you dive buddy wear that is white.

I wonder? How many people use a combination of red filter or lights (depending on depth and conditions) and how many do hard core white balance either at depth or at several depths all the time?

I started diving in '68 (that's 1968 :) ) and have been through Nikonos I, II and IV. No white balance, no TTLM ... just ... think/guess, adjust and shoot. At least I had a strobe with the IV.

Anyway, I'm old and wander. Go back to the question marks. That's my question.

Here's a split between a corrected and not color corrected image taken from footage someone else shot. I did this to show him how powerful the program is, it took me a whole 90 seconds. I say post production color grading is really important, but that's just my opinion. The light he was using in the video was completely red. Ohh yeah and I shoot with a red filter, lights and manual white balance all at the same time.

Picture22.png

Billy

The best way to get the colours to pop is to get super close and get as much light on the subject as possible.

Correction can only do so much, you can't add red that isn't there, it just looks wrong.
Edius, and FCP have the best colour corrections that I have seen, but both have their limits. If you can get the WB right by setting it while underwater, then just bump up the colours a touch with saturation, you'll get beautiful images most of the time.

Good luck.
Josh

I've been patiently trying to learn how to use the colour correction fx in Vegas Pro 9 to no avail.
I've spent hours of trial and error as well as following this tutorial on correcting white balance Fixing Incorrect White Balance using Sony Vegas but I can't get the video anywhere near the same as in photoshop.

In photoshop I can get the colours almost perfect by using the channel mixer, and then by setting the levels and adjusting exposure in under 60 seconds.

shark-video-test.jpg

Does anyone have any special techniques or advice they could give on how to correct under water video footage.

Cheers

It is never a good idea to color correct using the canvas of your NLE on your computer monitor. Always use an external HD editing monitor with HDMI connections. I use a 32" Sony Bravia myself but all monitors need a burn in time of at least 150 hours before they can be properly calibrated by a professional. Once done, you can use your external monitor for color correction reference rather than what you see on your computer monitor.
That said, it is important to learn how to properly use your waveform, parade and vectorscope monitors found within most NLEs as these can do wonders for your footage.
Steve

It is important to get it right while you are shooting. I hold the Amphibico slate in my left hand, it fits nicely alongside the handle without creating any drag, and then white balance often throughout the dive. Even a change in depth of a few feet is going to affect the colour as is the position of the sun relative to your shot, or even the sun disappearing behind a cloud.

Back
Top Bottom