Improvised Apeks Tools...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mts0628

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All:

Well, since someone prompted me for pictures about my pocket installation, I decided to take a few more of things that will be beneficial to individuals who want to service their Apeks regulators.

So the first item is a mounting adapter, Apeks P/N 5116230. So, you can buy these for about 20 USD IIRC (not Apeks but from Scubatools), but they use steel for the ends: not on my regulators! For about 18 USD, you can buy a 12 inch section of 7/8" brass hex stock from onlinemetals. From this, I cut a 4 inch section, and then threaded the two ends 1/2 inch in, and to match the 3/8 inch by 24 TPI and the 7/16 inch by 20 TPI ports on the first stage. Anyone with a lathe or knows someone with a lathe can perform this operation.

The hex nuts are hardware store garden variety used to protect the threads when not in use.

Now, the Spring Adjuster Tool, Apeks P/N AT45, is a tool used to removed the spring adjuster from the adjustment knob. The spring adjuster holds two o-rings inside the adjustment knob and should be replaced during overhaul. I read somewhere here that an individual used a screwdriver to remove it!

My ATX 100 and ATX 200 that I have and an ATX 50 that I used to own had this C type configuration on the spring adjuster. Another ATX 50 that I have simply uses a hex wrench. Why couldn't this have been done on all of the spring adjusters?

Anyway, the Problem:

The Solutions:

To make, just cut a piece of JB Weld off, maybe 1/2 inch. Knead as directed and it will turn from a light gray to almost black. Roll the mass into a short cylinder maybe 3/8 inch diameter and 1 inch high. I waited about 4-5 minutes until it started to just harden. Timing is everything with this project. I then smashed an end of the molded JB Weld into the end of the spring adjuster and I held it there for a bit, while gently rolling the edges away from the adjustment knob ridges. Next I slowly lifted it off trying to preserve the negative mold. I set the made tool aside for a few hours to allow it to harden and then I tried it, and it worked!

If when you remove the JB Weld from the spring adjuster before it fully hardens and if a small amount is stuck in the grooves, I just used a staple to pick it out without damaging the problem I was trying to solve. Apparently not preparing the end that you want to mold actually helps release the JB Weld.

Apply the made-tool, orienting it so that it locks in the C-shaped groove. Now applying downward pressure while turning counterclockwise will remove the spring adjuster without difficulty. Assembly is the is the same way, but clockwise turning. :D

How it works:

I hope this helps.

With kind regards,
Thomas

Last edited:
Tonight I made the second stage spring adjuster tool. The second try seems to work OK, however, a third one might look and work better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom