(IN CASE YOU MISSED IT) ZOOM SEEKERS: DAN ORR & AVIAD CAHANA - THE AVELO SYSTEM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Dan Orr and Aviad Cahana teamed up for an interesting talk about a new buoyancy/diving system that Aviad invented that results in better overall buoyancy and less weight for you to carry. You can hear the talk - and the Q&A that followed - through this link:

DAN ORR & AVIAD CAHANA - THE AVELO SYSTEM

M

Thanks for sharing.
Totally a new concept.
Still for a niche, as a vacational diver will not be able to rent that device if not certified in it's use. Also no travel friendly if you are used to travel with your gear and rent tanks as it's normal now.
Also, Open Circuit scuba gear is so simple. This is a complex device, like a rebreather.

Long discussion at Interesting approach to automatic Buoyancy at DEMA

IMO, a streamlined rig with proper weighting addresses all the problems this is meant to deal with at a fraction of the cost while giving you much greater flexibility in terms of conditions, ability to do multiple dives, and to adjust the parameters of the dive (e.g., use a larger tank).

We are going to Maui and looked at doing this, the price they want for the try/certification dives though is ludicrous.

How much are they asking?

$3800 for their shore diving package or $4800 for their boat diving package. Per person. I’m fully aware of the irony of a CCR diver saying some alternative diving technology is silly expensive, however, that is about double the cost of our predicted dive costs for two CCR divers on island.

So, I would like to try it. The certification/diving packages on Maui are very expensive (10 dives), especially with lodging and transportation. In addition, you have to get there and some additional expenses. I would guess around $10,000 for me.

I will wait until there is site in Florida and opt for a 2 dive certification day to give it a try.

A routine 3000 psi fill would give you about 80 cu ft. A high pressure fill of 3442 psi would give you about 92 cu ft. It looks like it could be filled in place on a liveaboard. Not sure how multiple tanks would work on a routine charter.

I'm open minded, don't see that I will be diving this system in my diving lifetime.

At least what I've understood is that the rated pressure means that when the tank is full at 3000 psi and you add water to submerge, the pressure inside the bladder goes higher and the tank must widstand that increased pressure.

At least what I've understood is that the rated pressure means that when the tank is full at 3000 psi and you add water to submerge, the pressure inside the bladder goes higher and the tank must withstand that increased pressure.
It's rated at a very high pressure. You can get fills up to 300 bar around, 106 cu ft and you don't put gas in and out of a BC while diving. There were several interesting comments regarding monitoring gas during diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom