In May - Grand Turk Bohio Dive Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChefMali

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings:admingreet:
I plan on doing a 10 day vaca in Grand Turk, staying at the Bohio Dive Resort. Questions that you can give me feed back on:

• How is the insect population there? In other words are there tons of mosquitoes? Just a tad bit worried about this news piece Mosquito-borne virus chikungunya worries CDC - CNN.com
  • Where do you go to free dive for conch? Can we do it ourselves?
  • Is it easy to do a shore dive off of Bohio beach?

Any other tips or things to know would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Bohio has a beautiful beach, great restaurant and the diving is easy and good. As for the conch can't help you. Shore diving..hmm may be possible but not common. there is some snorkeling off of the beach but you have to look around a bit. Hopefully there will still be some whales around. We saw them from the beach and heard them on many dives...it is a place to relax.

Tip....walk into town and try a couple other restaurants just for variety..ask DM Jesse .

I hope to join you there CM. We are visiting GT durring cruise June 8. Got Bohio day passes for the fam but BDR will not confirm a boat dive until all guests have signed up.

Will you still be around? i May need a guide. BJB

I just returned yesterday from a week at Bohio. I’ve have over 30 dive weeks in the Caribbean, etc. This, by far, was one of the most disappointing. I may be spoiled but I thought the dinner food and resort was less than mediocre at best. The $28 cold burnt Pizza was inedible. A beer is over $8 with tax and tip. The toilet took over a day to get working “somewhat”, the very loud smoke alarm started chirping at 4 in the morning and there were many other irritating issues - too numerous to mention. The very nice owners (and they were nice) just said “It’s island time”.

Though I did see two creatures I have never seen before (a leopard flat worm plus a 4” pipefish) and eight Hawksbill Turtles there was very little sea life. The boats are old, small, and ill equipped. Out of the 20 or so people I met during the week only one other person dove with a computer. I now understand why there were so few returning experienced divers. Prepare to dive with lots of first timers. Hope you have a much much better time than I had.

ahh. sorry about that, I didn't see this. I was so busy and hadn't checked back on here. I hope you were able to get a dive in? As I've found out, the Island is pretty small.

---------- Post added July 4th, 2015 at 09:49 AM ----------

Greetings:admingreet:
I plan on doing a 10 day vaca in Grand Turk, staying at the Bohio Dive Resort. Questions that you can give me feed back on:

• How is the insect population there? In other words are there tons of mosquitoes? Just a tad bit worried about this news piece Mosquito-borne virus chikungunya worries CDC - CNN.com
  • Where do you go to free dive for conch? Can we do it ourselves?
  • Is it easy to do a shore dive off of Bohio beach?

Any other tips or things to know would be much appreciated. Thank you.[/QUOTe
Update: Bohio is a nice place. You may want to make sure you know the price of those good fruity slushy type drinks ahead of time. They can add up quickly ($12 here , $50 within 1/2hr. and you're still thirsty).

Mosquito's/bugs- not so bas as I thought. I do love their dogs but you may want to stay at a distance from them because they have a lot of fleas and ticks. When they scratch, the fleas fly somewhere and if you're within reach, you'll find your ankles and calves bitten up.

The people running the place are very nice and family business. They are so chill. The Divemasters are pretty cool too. Oh, one thing I found out is that they go by dive computer stats not the dive planner RDP
:confused: . So don't freak out if you look at the RDP dive planner and find yourself in the grey area or way past maximum group pressure...That's what I've learned as I'm very new at diving and I kept forgetting this is another country and they do things differently....Maybe that's a bad thing...but I thought it was fine-I was well with in my limits on my dive computer and did my safety stops accordingly.

It's freakin' HOT out there- when you're diving, plus in and out of the water- your sunscreen washes off. Good luck on trying to keep it on. Just stay in the shade if you're fair skinned as I am.

Don't plan on getting your room done in a timely manner- it's "island time" and super hot....just kick back in the lounge area. If you see a coconut and feel thirsty- ask the folks to get it for you- they'll climb the tree and chop it for you. Ahh fresh coconut water - free too! (maybe a bit warm liquid-but still)
I felt its better to stay there than to come from the cruise ship....I found that although the water is so beautiful turquoise blue- you can't really see crap in the shallow part- it's better to just go diving or maybe they can drop you off a few 20 feet from the beach. visibility is sup good after you get passed that sea grass stuff.

Chillaxin' like an islander- the evenings are great! I love how the sea water gently slides up the beach- not so rough as Maui. The tropical like music sets off the right kind of mood with your drink (alcoholic or non). Sunsets are different from Hawaii- no so many clouds to get the pink and orange hues. It's still a nice sunset and if you blink, you'll miss the sun go away....

Hope this was helpfull.

---------- Post added July 4th, 2015 at 09:54 AM ----------

what are some places you'd recommend for diving in Bahamas? I was talking to some folks that were advanced divers and they suggested live aboard boats....

Back
Top Bottom