In need of purchase decision assistance (PDA with Tobin)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the travel weight difference of the kydex vs. SS plate? In another thread you mentioned 2lbs difference, if I remember correctly, but is that for the medium size? What is the travel weight of the Torus 17?

I am trying to see if it makes sense to buy another DSS plate + Torus 17 just for travel purposes instead of the Zuma I am using now. It will dive better, but I don't think it can beat the Zuma's 4.4lbs travel weight and am trying to figure out how much more the setup would weight.

What is the travel weight difference of the kydex vs. SS plate? In another thread you mentioned 2lbs difference, if I remember correctly, but is that for the medium size? What is the travel weight of the Torus 17?

I am trying to see if it makes sense to buy another DSS plate + Torus 17 just for travel purposes instead of the Zuma I am using now. It will dive better, but I don't think it can beat the Zuma's 4.4lbs travel weight and am trying to figure out how much more the setup would weight.

It varies a little with plate size, but the difference in dry travel weight between DSS kydex plates and Stainless steel plates runs a tad over 3 lbs.

I'm not in the shop today, but IIRC our smaller wings are a bit over 2 lbs. The larger single wings aren't a whole lot heavier, as a lot of the weight of any BC is the fittings, OPV, elbow, Power inflator and hoses.

In most cases warm water travel involves thin suits and al 80's making SS plates a better choice for in water performance.

Tobin

It varies a little with plate size, but the difference in dry travel weight between DSS kydex plates and Stainless steel plates runs a tad over 3 lbs.

I'm not in the shop today, but IIRC our smaller wings are a bit over 2 lbs. The larger single wings aren't a whole lot heavier, as a lot of the weight of any BC is the fittings, OPV, elbow, Power inflator and hoses.

In most cases warm water travel involves thin suits and al 80's making SS plates a better choice for in water performance.

Tobin

Does the medium kydex plate really weight 1.7 lbs? The medium SS plate is listed as 4.7 lbs on the website. If you could check that and the Torus 17 weight on Monday when you are back in the shop, I would really appreciate it. If it checks out, that would make the whole medium kydex + wing + harness (estimated at 1lbs, is that accurate?) be <5lbs which would be awesome if true. I could switch from the Zuma with no downside!

I already have a DSS SS plate, I am just trying to figure out what a minimal travel weight DSS setup would be like since I could pickup another plate + harness + cam bands as part of the package for only a bit more than the Torus 17. :wink:

To the OP: we are similar in dimensions, and I happily use a DSS medium steel BP + tropical wing when I am on vacation with AL80s and a 3mm suit.

Does the medium kydex plate really weight 1.7 lbs? The medium SS plate is listed as 4.7 lbs on the website. If you could check that and the Torus 17 weight on Monday when you are back in the shop, I would really appreciate it. If it checks out, that would make the whole medium kydex + wing + harness (estimated at 1lbs, is that accurate?) be <5lbs which would be awesome if true. I could switch from the Zuma with no downside!

I already have a DSS SS plate, I am just trying to figure out what a minimal travel weight DSS setup would be like since I could pickup another plate + harness + cam bands as part of the package for only a bit more than the Torus 17. :wink:

Medium Kydex ~1.65lbs
Torus 17 ~2.2 lbs
Harness ~1.5 lbs

Tobin

I have both plates in size large. Dive both and really like DSS products. My feeling, I weighed both as I dive them with attachments and found only about 2 1/2 lbs difference as rigged. So I decided that on a trip to Cocos this summer to take the steel plate and avoid 5 to 6 more pounds of weight on a belt. Wife and I pack dive gear and clothing in each of our own bags and rarely get over 48 lbs. If you weigh most BC's, you will be shocked at how much most of them weigh. Tobin is right, SS plate with Al 80's and Kydex with heavy steel tanks. I admit at home I dive steel tanks with my steel plate and am heavy, but I prefer it to putting weights on.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom