In SD this week and looking to dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottbeach

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all-

I often visit my company's facility in San Diego and it looks like my calendar will free up enough to get in a dive after work on Wednesday. Does anyone know of an operation that does shore dives in the late afternoon in La Jolla? I've seen lots of folks diving while walking the beach, but being unfamiliar with the sites, I don't feel like going it alone.

Any ideas?

Hope you find someone to dive with.

In LaJolla you can either dive LaJolla Cove or LaJolla Shore.

LaJolla Cove offers some excellent diving with your choice of sand, rock reef, cave/cavern, kelp to dive, all in one spot. Nomally lots of life as this is a preserve and some excellent diving. If you enter at the stairs and proceed on a heading of 30 degrees toward the bouy, then dive down at the kelp just short of the bouy about 50 yards, and continue on your course of 30 degrees, you should, if you are luckly, come upon a grooming station for Giant Black Sea Bass. I saw a dozen there one day, along with some blue sharks on the way in. Currently they are reporting lots of soup fin sharks in the area which are a treat to see as well. Tnis is one of my favorite sites.

(The below is both my own observations and from reading A Diver's Guide to Southern California's Best Beach Dives by Dale & Kim Sheckler, a must read for diving Southern California)
LaJolla Shores, (easiset access is Kellog Park) used by a lot of dive classes, is a sand bottom and there is, in my oponion not much to see here, unless you go into the canyon, except maybe at night when stuff comes up out of the canyon. The canyon, wich is about 100 to 150 yards off shore dropps off very steeply, some even refer to vertical walls of 20 to 30 feet which stair step down into the deep. There are two main branches of the canyon. The Northern branch, called Scripps Canyon is reported to have spetacular vertical walls and you can get to over 700 feet here just one mile from shore. But the canyon is a long swim out. The Southern branch is the Lajolla canyon. You can get to 700 feet here too if you want (well above the recreational limits). Just 100 to 150 yards off shore you go from a bottom of 45 feet to 200 feet in the space of 100 yards.

The life is in the canyons if you are at the Shores.

There is lots of good beach diving in San Diego in additon to the two sites above. Good luck and have fun.

Too late now, but a clarification: you can't get to Scripps Canyon from La Jolla Shores... or it would be one heck of a surface swim! Shore entrance for Scripps Canyon is either from the road down to Black's Beach (for which you need a key) or from the point just north of Scripps Pier -- which means a 10-15 min walk and 10-15 min surface swim. From La Jolla Shores, it'd be a couple hour surface swim!

John H. Moore once bubbled...
Too late now, but a clarification: you can't get to Scripps Canyon from La Jolla Shores... or it would be one heck of a surface swim! Shore entrance for Scripps Canyon is either from the road down to Black's Beach (for which you need a key) or from the point just north of Scripps Pier -- which means a 10-15 min walk and 10-15 min surface swim. From La Jolla Shores, it'd be a couple hour surface swim!

Actually, the location you refer to is the Northern branch of the canyon. The southern fork is accessable with an easy swim from LaJolla Shores near Kellog Park. See the two maps (from Maptech) below. Note depths are in fathoms (6') Navigation Map:
http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepa...maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm&latlontype=DMS

Topo Map:http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepa...e/index.cfm&bpid=MAP0060030900&latlontype=DMS

John,

Welcome to Scuba Board! Your debut here is long overdue!

For those of you who don't know him, John is the founder of the non-commercial website, www.divebums.com and IMHO a welcome addition to this board. We can always use another well-informed and enthusiastic participant.

Cheers!

kelphelper
:D

pasley once bubbled...

Actually, the location you refer to is the Northern branch of the canyon. The southern fork is accessable with an easy swim from LaJolla Shores near Kellog Park.

Hi pasley,

You'd be safer sticking to calling your northern branch of the canyon head "Scripps Canyon" and your southern branch of the canyon head "La Jolla Canyon" -- those are the terms used locally. It would get even more confused with your nomenclature, as Scripps Canyon has a several small branches, one of which is called the north branch!

Both are accessible from shore, but La Jolla Canyon is easy to get to and Scripps Canyon is not. Scripps Canyon also has very different topopraphy and life than La Jolla Canyon.

And, to kelphelper... yep, that's me.

:)

John

John H. Moore once bubbled...
You'd be safer sticking to calling your northern branch of the canyon head "Scripps Canyon" and your southern branch of the canyon head "La Jolla Canyon" -- those are the terms used locally. It would get even more confused with your nomenclature, as Scripps Canyon has a several small branches, one of which is called the north branch!

This is one of those things that'll drive tourists crazy, when a place has two or three names! It's like the guy who gives directions, "Take a left where the old school used to be!"

Good thing you caught that!

...Just like a bunch of Californians to hijack an otherwise public forum and use it for their own purposes. Just kidding...

The answer is no, I couldn't find anyone diving after work midweek, so I went ahead and trotted up to Pasadena and drank away my sorrows at a little wine bar.

Better luck next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom