In the market for a new video camera ... need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Steve. I'll have to look carefully at the webshops. I have the impression that many of the ones you see here are shops that are run out of some student's bedroom and I want to be sure if I order it that I'll actually get it.

I may actually be able to get one online but I'm probably going to be in Canada in the next few weeks so I'd like to pick one up where I know I won't get burned and the police won't tell me after the fact, "caveat emptor, dumb ass" (been there, done that).

You ever see that episode of "People's Court" where someone ordered a cellphone online and the seller sent a picture of the cellphone instead of the actual phone and claimed in court that it was legit because the advertisement only showed a picture..... well I had something very similar happen, where I bought a printer and the seller sent me a broken one that they had gotten out of the dump.... I reported it but the police didn't do anything and I wasn't out a lot of money but since then I've become very reluctant to buy things from any old webshop.

R..

Here are some videos (Summerstad 170' & RP Resor 130') I shot with the GoPro off the coast of NJ. This was with out the Backscatter Filter! Obviously, Summerstad was a darker dive (still had 50' viz) and did some shots without lights & some with. The ones with light, I was using 1 Sola 1200. RP Resor we had 50'+ Viz and a lot brighter. Divers in Resor video were doing tec training and only running a reel for the purpose of the class.

divejunkie70 - YouTube

It seems to tolerate the 1200 lumen light fairly well as long as you're not pointing it right on the hot-spot at close range. We don't have nearly the visibility you have but I think that pretty much cinches it for me.

Oh... I like your taste in music. Chickenfoot is a great band.

R..

Thanks Steve. I'll have to look carefully at the webshops. I have the impression that many of the ones you see here are shops that are run out of some student's bedroom and I want to be sure if I order it that I'll actually get it.
Scubatoys now sells GoPro. GoPro Scuba Gear and Dive Equipment
. The other option is international shipping with UPS. With our discounted international UPS Express service, you will normally get delivery in 3-4 business days. And with our international discounts and the international currency exchange, many times products coming from the US are 1/2 the price of buying overseas even with the shipping! If you wish, simply Email Info@Scubatoys.com and let us know what you are thinking of getting and your address, and we can work up a shipping quote for you. Presently, this is a list of the Countries that we ship to all the time; Aruba, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bermuda, Bonaire, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Denmark, England (Great Britain and Northern Ireland), Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guam, Honduras, Italy, Japan, Netherlands,

[h=5]If you are thinking about buying a CONTOUR camera for scuba diving, please consider the following videos. I was using a Brand New Contour+2 on 1080 mode while my dive buddy was using a Go PRO Hero 2 in 720 Mode. We were side by side shooting the same shark. The Clarity in the bait fish and shark of the GoPro was considerably better.[/h]
Contour+2 vs GoPRO Hero 2 - YouTube

FYI, We are probably the most active Dive Center in the NE! Open 7 days a week, we run every phase of a quality shop Sales (well stocked), Service (full time service staff), Travel (Active local schedule & world wide) & Training (every aspect of diving including Side-mount, Trimix & Rebreathers). We are more then just an On-Line site!

Thanks Wayne. The thought had already crossed my mind but I'll look around locally first because I'd like to avoid paying import duty on it if I can.

R..

p.s. I don't get out to NY very often but if I do I hope you don't mind me looking you up. I'd love to arrange a dive or two on one of your local wrecks.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom