In the midst of getting OW Certified...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
A post we see all too often...
Why do people think they can proficiently learn to go in a habitat where they can't live, in a weekend?
Because that is what all the marketing is geared towards. Its not about learning to dive effectively or proficiently. Its about marketing student materials, gear and trips.

jbd:
Because that is what all the marketing is geared towards. Its not about learning to dive effectively or proficiently. Its about marketing student materials, gear and trips.

I disagree with this statement. Shorter, weekend classes are set up FOR the students, because many people just don't want to take the time to learn, and want everything instantly. Our regular courses span 3 weeks, 2 nights per week, (giving an extra pool night) plus the open water weekend. We also run weekend classes and they fill with people who just can't make the time for the regular course. They are long days, as we don't cut them short, but some people love that style of course.

Still, a lack of time is no excuse for not teaching all the skills properly and giving students enough of a chance to master them. This instructor, and/or shop, need to change their program and allow more pool time, and/or have more instructors working with the class if it's a large one. In this case, seeing as how it was mentioned that you were supposed to have more time, I'd say this instructor felt they had something better to do! I hope you can find/found a new one.

Getting back to the OP, I would be interested to hear what has happened. Did you complete the OW dives over the weekend?

Alright I made it back from my dives! It was pretty fun, the second two dives that is. The skills and such were no big deal at all. The instructor only had 5 of us to work with so it was much easier to repeat the skills. The first dive we didn't do much just dove around a reef called Davy Crocker(we were in islamarada). The next reef we did a few skills and spent a lot of time swimming around the reef looking at things, getting used to our equipment. That was day 1. Day 2 we went to a reef called The cage which was in the 50-60 ft range and did a few more skills but mostly swimming around looking for nurse sharks and eels in the ledges....very fun. It was pretty rough out this day and made surface navigation a little tough but still not hard. The last (4th) dive we did a couple skills and about 30 minutes of exploring a reef called bigfoot. Then we finnished with our CESA doing about 20-25 ft of AHHHHHHHH ing. All in all the first day was a little nerve wrecking but got better each dive. The last two dives were much better. I brought a camera the second day. I'll get some pictures up in a minute.

I'm scuba certified!

Fallowing the instructor around the reef
follow-1.jpg

Nurse shark
Shark.jpg

DiverDebbie:
I disagree with this statement. Shorter, weekend classes are set up FOR the students, because many people just don't want to take the time to learn, and want everything instantly.
If they don't to learn to dive effectively or proficiently then they shouldn't be in the water. They should take up knitting.

DiverDebbie:
Our regular courses span 3 weeks, 2 nights per week, (giving an extra pool night) plus the open water weekend. We also run weekend classes and they fill with people who just can't make the time for the regular course. They are long days, as we don't cut them short, but some people love that style of course.
Theres nothing wrong with offering a course that occurs on weekends, as long as enough weekends are spent to get the same amount of time that you offer in your standard week course that you described above. The problem I have is the people, both students and instructors who feel that they can adequately learn or teach, respectively, someone to dive from start to certification in one weekend, especially ina group of 6 to 10 students.

Anyone that doesn't want to put in the amount you described as your week day course just plain and simply shouldn't be in the water.

littleg182:
I'm scuba certified!

saw-eeet!!!

the fun just begins

nice pics too

Congratulations!

To reduce your stress while you get your feet wet try leaving the camera home for a while. It's task loading you can do without. If it's a point and hoot recyclable thing you pull out once in a while that's OK.

An instructor and 2 students in decent trim, I'm impressed.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom