In the news - April 18th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
From my local paper -- but in happened in London, England

Marathon 'runner' in a league of his own
A man wearing a 54-kilogram deep sea diver's suit crossed the finish line of the London Marathon last night, having walked for 128 hours since the start last Sunday.

In 32,875th place, and the slowest finisher in the race's history, Lloyd Scott, 40 managed to come resolutely last.

David Bedford, the marathon race director, said: "He's a shining example of great British lunancy."

Mr. Scott's slow progress around the course's 42-kilometres, or nine leagues in nautical terms, amassed the support of a nation. Donations totalled more than $230,000 for the charity Cancer and Leukemia in Childhood.

"It's very, very emotional to finish, but it's not about me; this is about children with cancer." He said. "The hardest part has been getting up and feeling terrible and having to put on cold, wet diving suit."

He had endured wasps in his helmet and stumbles on cobblestones, but it was only the emotion of finishing that brought him grinding to a halt.

Mr. Scott developed leukemia at the age of 27. Although the cancer left him with an artificial hip and needing daily medication to prevent its return, he wanted to wear "the most difficult thing possible" to raise money and give people hope that there is life after cancer.

The Times, London

I can't even imagine diving in that get-up, let alone doing a marathon. Good for him!

Happy Diving,

Scuba-sass :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom