Inadequete Drysuit Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asmackofjellyfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I bought a new drysuit about a month ago and with it I paid for a Drysuit Specialty Course (half price seemed like a great deal at the time!) They agreed to lend me the video to watch at home when I paid them. Yesterday, I asked my LDS to schedule me for the Drysuit Specialty Course. While on the phone the owner asked a DM if they were available and told me to be there late this afternoon.

I arrived at the shop and met the DM. We spoke briefly, drove to a local dive site, donned our gear, got into the water. Briefly discussed how the drysuit works (how to add and remove air etc.) and then went for a dive. We surfaced once during which I was told I was doing fine, had good buoyancy and it was suggested that we drop down and swim back towards shore. When I asked about skills I was told that I was doing fine. It was clear at the beginning of the dive that I was underweighted. I had to go head first, and while I was okay for the first half of the dive, during the last half I was too buoyant. I was also experiencing what I think was some “squeeze”.

When I got back to the LDS and spoke to the owner, and asked what else was involved in this course, he told me I could get a certification card.

Before I took the course a diving buddy of mine told me I should be expecting to learn how to right myself by doing a simulated feet first out of control ascent.

I take safety very seriously (I have young children at home!), and believe I have to take responsibility to ensure I am well trained. I’m a little bit concerned that I didn’t learn everything that I should of, based on my discussion with my Dive Buddy and my review of the PADI website’s description of the Dry Suit Specialty Course.

Are my expectations too high? If not, what skills should I be expecting when I go looking for another LDS that offers this course??

Yeah, that isn't anywhere close to meeting the requirements for the PADI Drysuit Specialty course...

You should have had an instructor explain the suit to you, help you don it, get in the pool or calm water, add / release air at the surface, add / release air in kneeling depth, connected / disconnected your suit in the water, done a weight check at the surface, fin pivot at the bottom, recovery from air in feet, an ascent while venting air from your suit, and some time to play around with the air bubble. All skills should have been demonstrated by the instructor then performed by you.

Then you should have done two open water drysuit dives to finish the cert, and I think there's knowledge reviews and a short test.

Also, a divemaster can't teach the drysuit specialty course. It's supposed to be at least an OW scuba instructor with a drysuit specialty instructor endorsement. Can a DM (or any other diver) show you how to use one? Sure, and this is how many of us learned. But it shouldn't result in a speciality certification from PADI.

/shrug, file a complaint on Padi's website.... might get you somewhere. Sounds like they halfassed it on you.

Are you sure there isn't some miscommunication and you still have some requirements to meet before they hand you the card?

-Brandon.

at minimum, you should have learned:

1. how to react to a runaway drysuit inflation valve

2. how to right yourself if your feet get too bouyant and get away from you

3. how to control drysuit squeeze

did you learn those things?

First of all, only a PADI Instructor with the Dry Suit Specialty Instructor rating is authorized to teach the course.

It is fairly common practice to include the course with the purchase of the drysuit. Some of the items you should expect to learn is how to handle runaway ascents, how to recover from a feet up ascent ( there are several ways to do this ), how to maintain the suit, how to vent air from the suit, and some other items as well.

When I teach the Dry Suit course, I have about 10 hours of inwater training at a minimum.

I hope this helps you out, and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via PM.

H2Andy:
at minimum, you should have learned:

1. how to react to a runaway drysuit inflation valve

2. how to right yourself if your feet get too bouyant and get away from you

3. how to control drysuit squeeze

did you learn those things?

No. Nothing like that was covered.

Brandon:
Yeah, that isn't anywhere close to meeting the requirements for the PADI Drysuit Specialty course...

You should have had an instructor explain the suit to you, help you don it, get in the pool or calm water, add / release air at the surface, add / release air in kneeling depth, connected / disconnected your suit in the water, done a weight check at the surface, fin pivot at the bottom, recovery from air in feet, an ascent while venting air from your suit, and some time to play around with the air bubble. All skills should have been demonstrated by the instructor then performed by you.

Then you should have done two open water drysuit dives to finish the cert, and I think there's knowledge reviews and a short test.

Also, a divemaster can't teach the drysuit specialty course. It's supposed to be at least an OW scuba instructor with a drysuit specialty instructor endorsement. Can a DM (or any other diver) show you how to use one? Sure, and this is how many of us learned. But it shouldn't result in a speciality certification from PADI.

/shrug, file a complaint on Padi's website.... might get you somewhere. Sounds like they halfassed it on you.

Are you sure there isn't some miscommunication and you still have some requirements to meet before they hand you the card?

-Brandon.

No. I was quite specific with the LDS Owner after the dive. I asked: "Is there anything else involved in this?" The answer was "We apply for a certification card for you"

asmackofjellyfish:
No. Nothing like that was covered.

that's not good ...

you really need to cover those things

Well, since we're all here....how about someone step forwards and talk about what you should do in these situations. :wink:

It is rather obvious that the course did not meet standards and was not taught by a person who is qualified to teach this course under the certifying agency. What is even sadder is that they charged you for it after buying the suit. As mentioned, many shops will throw in the course in for free.

So what to do. IMHO I would not discuss the situation further with the shop. Go ahead get the card. When it arrives, pick it up. In the mean time I would call the agency that you are getting the card through and ask some questions - have them send you the course requirements and what is expected. I would also start drafting notes that describes what happened. The more detail the better. Having names of both the owner and DM will be needed. After receiving the card I would send in the information to the agency that they are representing filling a formal complaint.

Let that course of action take place. The only thing that I can not address is that you should receive your money back.

^ That sounds like a good recourse of action. Unfortunately I doubt it will change much. :(

Back
Top Bottom