Increasing bottom time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking to take the Peak Performance Buoyancy Diver specialty course then as well.
That's a great idea. It's possible that you are over weighted and the course will sort that out, as well as helping you spend less enegry staying neutral. My SAC went way down after that that course. It's still not great, but I can recognise when I am stressed about something (like buddy separation in poor vis) and find myself breathing harder for no physical reason! As was stated earlier, it all starts between the ears. :wink:

This is a very common problem for new divers!

There are really two answers to this question, and they are interrelated. One is relaxation, and the other is efficiency.

When you are a new diver, the very mechanics of being underwater and managing your buoyancy, navigation, and all your equipment use up a lot of bandwidth, and very new divers are rarely completely relaxed. Tension causes you to breathe inefficiently, keeping your lungs fairly full and just exchanging a small amount of gas with each breath (this contributes to the difficulties with buoyancy that new divers have, too!) Because a large part of each breath is only ventilating the trachea and major bronchi, structures which do not participate in gas exchange, a lot of the breath is wasted as far as getting oxygen into the bloodstream and CO2 out are concerned. Therefore, you have to breathe at a higher rate, wasting a lot of your consumed gas into the water.

But a major thing that contributes to tension, and massively contributes to gas utilization, is inefficiency. What do new divers do that's inefficient?

To begin with, they often do not have their equipment properly balanced. Especially when diving in cold water, where a lot of weight is necessary, it's important to distribute that weight so that the diver in a horizontal position will tend to REMAIN in a horizontal position. If you are carrying a lot of weight low on your body, as the integrated weight pouches of many BCs will place it, then you will always tend to float in a feet-down position. Once you think about it, it becomes pretty obvious that, if you are feet down, every kick drives you UPWARD. In order to stay at the same depth, the diver has to keep himself negative, so the upward drive of the fins is countered by the sinking created by the negative buoyancy. What that means is that a good portion of the effort expended in every kick results in no net motion at all! Since muscle activity uses more oxygen and creates more CO2, this means that all that useless motion is sucking gas out of your tank.

In addition, because of the lack of balance, new divers often swim with their hands. The hands are not an efficient means of propulsion underwater, especially not compared with fins, so again, this is largely wasted motion.

When you are not balanced so that you can remain still, you must swim constantly. I can remember my own beginning days -- it irritated the daylights out of me that my buddies could simply STOP and look at something, when I would have to swim circles around them, because I simply couldn't be still. Achieving a good, flat body posture and balancing my equipment allowed me to learn just to hang in the water, which is not only a great way to look at things, but is great fun in its own right.

Achieving good buoyancy control, which includes getting properly weighted, helps with gas consumption as well. You probably learned during OW that you could affect your buoyancy with your breath. This is very true, but if you overuse this mechanism, you waste a lot of gas (not to mention setting yourself up for a CO2 headache). In the beginning, when you aren't quick to detect changes in depth, and when you are perhaps not as judicious in adding and venting air from your BC, you will make many buoyancy adjustments, both with the BC and your breath. As you gain experience, you will learn how to anticipate the need to change buoyancy, and you'll learn to add or vent air in very small amounts, keeping your buoyancy from ever being far from neutral. Gas consumption will go down with this facility, as well.

Finally, there is a level of gas consumption that will be required by your body and your degree of fitness. My favorite dive buddy is one of the most beautiful divers you could hope to see -- He is relaxed, extremely still in the water, and VERY skilled with his buoyancy. But his gas consumption is almost twice mine, simply because he's about twice my size. It would be absolutely counterproductive for him to work on his gas consumption as an end in itself; we simply dive different sized tanks, and life is good for both of us.

Have fun with this, and don't get anxious about it. Do, if you can, spend some time in a pool working with the trim pockets on your BC, or some weight pouches on your cambands, and try to get your rig balanced so you can hover in a horizontal position. This will result in a very big reduction in your gas needs.

I am 6 ft tall, about 190 lbs and exercise regularly. Are there any breathing techniques you can recommend for me to practice? Appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks!

There are some things you can do but really it all boils down to dive, dive then dive some more. I initially was so embarrissed by my air consumption that I went looking for things to improve it. I bought a sporting device called 'Power Breathe' that is supposed to strengthen your lungs and increase capacity, I also bought a CD from the UK called 'Scuba Diving Hypnosis' or something like that. I found the hypnosis very useful as it helps you to relax and time your breathing as for the power breathe I am still not sure whether it helped.

I was initially buddied up with another member of the dive club they call 'Budgie Lungs' as he barely used any air. In comparison to him I was a pig. I kept clocking up dives however and as I learned to relax my SAC rate came down to about the same as his. As someone mentioned in this thread really slow, deep, controlled breathing should see it take you around 15 seconds from inhale to complete exhale which will have you breathing around 4 times a minute, that should see your SAC rate come down

I can reccommend the hypnosis CD if you can put up with the annoying english accent.

As another new diver working to resolve the same issue, I can only pass along some advice I was given that seems to be helping me. On my last two AOW dives, the instructor told me to "sip" the air as though I were holding a straw to the roof of my month with my tounge and breathing through it.... My SAC rate dropped 10% on the 1st dive and over 25% on the 2nd!!

Seeing your profile I see you have only a few dives under your belt. You just need to learn to relax more----and you probably will in time. I know being in shape always helps, but using your air quickly is almost always a matter of not being totally relaxed. And this always starts between the ears.

Try concentrating on how you breathe. Inhale slowly and deeply. Exhale slowly and deeply. Do this and in time you should notice that it takes about 5-7 seconds to exhale completely. Many people don't know it, but when they exhale they just give a short blast. Next thing you know they are inhaling again. Think about it. Increasing your breathing cycle by a couple seconds on the inhale and 4-5 seconds to exhale really mounts up. How many breaths do you get out of a tank? Mutilpy that by about 5 seconds and you'll see.

I think this is really good advice.

I think, in a way, that it's unfortunate that so much advice is being given here about how to breathe. "Wrong" breathing is NOT the cause of increased gas consumption in new divers; it's a symptom. Getting properly weighted, getting comfortable with one's equipment and with the act of diving, and learning to go slowly and not waste effort will result in slower, more efficient breathing simply because the diver is relaxed. Focusing on breathing in the absence of correcting other problems can result in teaching skip breathing and CO2 retention -- CO2 retention is EXTREMELY dangerous, because it causes anxiety and predisposes to panic.

Don't mess with your breathing. Fix your diving technique and relax.

My wife and I were on about our 50th dive when she asked me if I was comfortable diving which seemed such an odd question, I love it. She said the reason she asked was we always came up with her at about half tank and me in the warning area.
This got me to watch how I was breathing.
First off if you were to sit on the bottom of the pool and old your breath, you would find if you kept your mouth and nose locked shut, you would not stay down long.
Yet allowing a small amout to escape, breathing out very slowly, allows you to stay there for a long time comfortably.
On the surface you do this naturally. But underwater you will inhale strongly and exhale in a burst.
Which means you are expelling good air that could be used to breath.
Try this test when next you dive.
Check your gauge and see how much air you have.
Now dive for 10 minutes like always. Check your guage. Based on your comments you have used about 30% of your air.
Now find someplace comfortable underwater you can just hang, maybe the anchor chain from the boat.
Take a good solid breath as always, then gently blow air bubbles out, slowly, easily, just small bubbles until you need to take another breath.
Keep doing this and concentrate on exhaling gently and continually. Watching those small air bubbles you exhale expanding and floating to the surface.
You will find this very peaceful and relaxing.
Now do this for 10 minutes. Now check your guage.
If you do you will smile when you see you probably just used less than half of what you did when you did the first 10 minutes.
Keep working at this now as you dive and move around. In time it will become natural and your bottom time will have increased 4 fold.
I am 59 years old, 6' and 190". When I do an open water class with students, I take with me a super 80 and normally I can make all 5 dives with them on that one tank.

Try exhaling through your nose. It's easier to control.

Try exhaling through your nose. It's easier to control.

And may cause your mask to fog.

Back
Top Bottom