Independant air supply & octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hilti

Reaction score
I spoke with some other divers (solo & buddy) and some have the opinion that an octopus is a general requirment for scuba, while others argue that the octo isn't necessary if you carry a true independent source (pony). I'm curious to know what the general concencus is:
Do you rig up with an alternate regulator as well as a pony;
Or do you streamline without the alternate reg when you carry a pony?
I carry both, my own thought is that practice makes perfect (or competant) and I switch regulators and run off the pony for awhile most every dive. Plus I can drop the pony when I do buddy dive (rarely) and stay familiar with where the octo is when I need it. Safe diving~ Jim

If I pass my pony over to another diver, I'm left with my primary and an Air2. But that's just me and that depends on the dive as well as his setup.

my pony is my backup. I normally don't use it if diving with a buddy unless we are both carrying one. I dive long hose and bungee or standard with octo when assisting with classes.

Pony is a Pony...

Back up is a Back up....

So, bring the octo....For the streamline, you can get the Air 2 with a long primary hose...

hoosier:
Pony is a Pony...

Back up is a Back up....

So, bring the octo....For the streamline, you can get the Air 2 with a long primary hose...

ditto...At 90' when my buddy blows his first stage, I hand over the pony. That leaves me with my long hosed primary and my Air2 for my backup. That's just my preference on some of my dives. Especially if my buddy that day is someone who insists on having my back gas as his backup. Plenty of those types around here.

While it does not really hurt to have an octo if you have a pony, it is totally not necessary. It is highly unlikely that your 2nd stage will fail, it is much more likely that you run out of air. An octo will do you no good most of the time, while the pony will be your real complete redundant system. Do yourself a favor and get rid of the octo. as it will only get in your way.

By the way, one of my LDS rents equipment WITHOUT an octo, but they do require a pony with its own regulator. That is what I learned on and what I stand by.

acelockco:
While it does not really hurt to have an octo if you have a pony, it is totally not necessary. It is highly unlikely that your 2nd stage will fail, it is much more likely that you run out of air. An octo will do you no good most of the time, while the pony will be your real complete redundant system. Do yourself a favor and get rid of the octo. as it will only get in your way.

YES Another way to look at the question is: Carrying three second stages has obvious disadvantages such the likelihood of the octopus freeflowing or becoming entangled or confused with the pony bottle regulator itself. What exactly are the positives of carrying 3 second stages? I don't see any big advantage. In an emergency, your pony bottle should get either you or your buddy safely to the surface.

However, I personally usually use an AIR II and a pony.

acelockco:
While it does not really hurt to have an octo if you have a pony, it is totally not necessary. It is highly unlikely that your 2nd stage will fail, it is much more likely that you run out of air.

If then, what is the point of having a pony? In that logic, the pony and octo are the simple trade off. I had better getting the simple octo...

I think you missunderstand. I am saying NOT to use an Octo. and to ONLY use a PONY with it's OWN REGULATOR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom