Independence Day From Bad Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We expected the same poor visibility we've had for more than a month, but were greeted by twenty-five feet vis at Golf Ball Reef today. It's amazing how much more enjoyable diving can be when you can see.
I found a second barrel last week and wanted to move it closer to the other one. When I tried to lift it I learned that it is metal and has sharp edges. I sliced my dry glove, leaving me with a cold hand for the remainder of the first dive.
After changing gloves, Kevin swam to the barrel with me at the beginning of the second dive. Working together we still couldn't budge it more than a few inches. I decided it looks fine just where it is.
There were a lot of octopus, sheepcrabs and nudibranchs out today. Merry found some kelp that was loaded with juvenile navanaxes while I checked out nudi eggs everywhere.

GBR20_zps8d11a92f.jpg

GBR21_zps8318bc9a.jpg

GBR1_zps0ef3d996.jpg

GBR2_zpsacd822fa.jpg

GBR4_zps288eed97.jpg

GBR6_zps523b5c53.jpg

GBR10_zps7b9e947a.jpg

GBR13_zps6eefe3be.jpg

GBR14_zpsaad68621.jpg

GBR12_zps5e38444d.jpg

GBR19_zpsd645ea77.jpg

GBR15_zps38101a06.jpg

GBR7_zps15e98adb.jpg

GBR5_zpsf30c8e37.jpg

GBR18_zps9ff30059.jpg

GBR17_zps64352e2b.jpg

GBR8_zpsf6bb248d.jpg

"What do you mean I'm not invited?"

Nice! On my way out to Catalina on Sat and San Clemente On Sun on Diveboat Magician (missed the Catalina Dive & Fireworks at the Queen Mary --those Fourth of July Charters sold out fast this year!).

Not expecting great viz either, but it will be nice to get away from the heat of the Mainland!

Excellent pictures. I love nudibranch's and always wanted an aquarium full of them, just don't know how to go about that.....yet :(

We expected the same poor visibility we've had for more than a month,

??!!!??? Brutal... we have had nothing but terrific visibility in your neck of the woods (and ours) this month. Two weekends ago we took Darrel's sabrecat out to the UB88 and could see the whole boat from 140 feet (with probably 50 feet laterally on the wreck). The weekend prior we had 50+ feet on the Hogan and before that more than 50 on the Yukon/El Ray. June was FANTASTIC in SoCal.

Incredible captures as usual Phil! Really love the Octo Eye. What kind of eggs are those in shots 8 & 9?

My Independence day was spent working a search and rescue in the park. Oh how dry I am up here in ND. Your and Merry's shots are always a welcome "diffuser" from the days trials and tribulations. Keep'em Coming.

They are some type of snail, but I can't seem to find it. The sacs I found look as if they are ready to burst. Unless the babies are planktonic it would be great to see them crawl on the rocks and see what they are.
Maybe some day you can get transferred to Sequoia National Park where you could drive down here in half a day. :)

Wow, nice! Love all the nudis. My usual site either doesn't have any, or I'm terrible at finding them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom