Indiana Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sfbarry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello

Anyone know of anyplaces to dive in Indiana? I am in West Lafayette, but would like to start diving on the weekends. I currently own all my gear and a 3/2 mm but will most certainly invest in a 7mm when I find a few people or places to dive. Any info, please let me know!!

Sean

Also, Anyone know of a Rescue Diver course in Indiana ? Looking for one between Indy, Ft.Wayne and Kokomo

Sean ... there are a few of us that dive pretty regularly locally. France Park in Logansport, Sunset Park in Linton, Phillips Quarry in Muncie, Blue Springs in Waldron, Hidden Paradise in St. Paul. Those are the publicly available options.

As far as a Rescue Course, I'd highly recommend Bob Hoffmeyer and Preston Hobbie out of Diver's Supply Indy on the east side of Indianapolis. I did my Rescue with them and am currently finishing up Divemaster there as well. They're outstanding. You can reach the shop at 317-897-2822. They were wanting to get another Rescue class going. Unfortunately there isn't enough demand to run it more than once or twice a year. The last one they did was the one I was in last Feb-May. Time for another!

Most of us who dive locally alot have drysuits, but a 7mm will work. Anything less and you're limited to June-Oct. You'd also be limited in terms of depth as well, but none of the places in Indiana are very deep so that's not as big of a deal.

If you're in Lafayette, Haigh Quarry in Kankakee, IL is also a good option. It's an awesome quarry. I get up there 2-3 times a year.

How is Phillips Quarry, and how often do you guys dive there? My wife's family lives near there, and we are down there (from Chicago) usually once a month. I use any excuse to escape the in-laws, and diving would be awesome.

How is Phillips Quarry, and how often do you guys dive there? My wife's family lives near there, and we are down there (from Chicago) usually once a month. I use any excuse to escape the in-laws, and diving would be awesome.

Only been there once. Viz was pretty bad, especially in the deep hole, but they have a few things to see and some bluegill and other sunfish to see. Hey, price is right ($10 I think) and it's a place to dive.

Like I said, any excuse to get away from the in-laws! LOL

How likely to be able to hook up with a buddy on the fly? Should I post if I am coming down and see if anyone will be available? Won't be too soon. I am getting my C-card the weekend of April 4th, and only have a 5/7 wetsuit, so it will probably be late April/early May before its even a possibility.

Like I said, any excuse to get away from the in-laws! LOL

How likely to be able to hook up with a buddy on the fly? Should I post if I am coming down and see if anyone will be available? Won't be too soon. I am getting my C-card the weekend of April 4th, and only have a 5/7 wetsuit, so it will probably be late April/early May before its even a possibility.

If you're looking for a buddy I'd post on here. That happens alot during the dive season. List the date and location you'd like to dive. If I'm available I'd be willing to dive Phillips again.

You go through Tom Laird's shop to dive it. Website. They'll take your money, have you sign the release and actually give you the key if it's not open.

In the past, viz was much worse. It's definitely colder shallower than BSP. Gotta love the entry fee of $7 versus $20 at BSP or the yearly pass that I believe is only $100 at Tom's shop. There are also a lot more good places to eat in Muncie.

Only been there once. Viz was pretty bad, especially in the deep hole, but they have a few things to see and some bluegill and other sunfish to see. Hey, price is right ($10 I think) and it's a place to dive.

In the past, viz was much worse. It's definitely colder shallower than BSP. Gotta love the entry fee of $7 versus $20 at BSP or the yearly pass that I believe is only $100 at Tom's shop. There are also a lot more good places to eat in Muncie.

I can't speak to viz before vs. now, but I completely agree on your other two points.

One thing I did notice is that I don't thing Phillip's could handle anywhere near the number of divers that BS sees on peak Sat and Sun mornings. If I remember correctly the quarry has only one or two entry points, all on the same side, and not much parking area. The remaining 3 sides are all wooded. That could be a good thing though as it would keep down the number of classes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom