Individual Rights, and other Myths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Agencies vs the individual diver" might be a fine topic for a new thread, but wasn't meant to be a topic on this thread. However - after re-reading the OP I can understand how a reader might focus on the idea of "individual" - after all, I used the word four times in the post!

If the US is anything, it is a celebration of the individual, and that word is widely understood to be sacrosanct. Using it the way I did was a deliberate provocation to an orthodoxy that prizes the individual above the herd. Often in the US, to paraphrase Spock, "The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many."

In the US, we have been embroiled in a cultural and political war for decades, and this war is largely about our perceived "rights". This may not be the case in Canada, and indeed, many Canadian posters seem to be a little mystified by it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom