Indonesia trip with S95 + Recsea + Fisheye UWL04 + macro Dyron UCL67II + Inon D2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had multiple 67 mm WAL's and in every case, I have worn out the threads on the housing port ring by taking them off during dives to take stock housing pictures, and putting them back on. With more than one worn out ring I have gone to bicycle tube semi-permanent WAL and resigned myself to just WAL for the entire dive. Also, threads take some time.

I can work around all the small issues, but Recsea S95, Fix AD mMount and a full quiver of Inon AD lenses w/ 3 AD arm mounts is how I rolled my dice, and I don't plan on any buyer remorse :)

Ripseven, I love your photos, but I wanted to ask why you selected the Fisheye UWL04 lens for the RecSea housing over perhaps the Inon options? I don't have any direct experience of this kind of thing, so its hard for me to judge whether I would prefer a 100 or 150 degree lens (Inon) or the 130 degree of the Fisheye lens... I really hadn't considered the UWL04 on a RecSea housing, though I think its the best option for a FIX S95 housing because the threads match. I'm about to buy an entire UW kit for an S95 but I still don't know what !! And which adaptor did you need for the UWL04 lens?
Thank you very much for any answers!
-Durwin

If you already own the Inon lenses, I would use them and get the Recsea housing with an AD adapter. If I didn't own them, I'd get the Dyron fisheye lens + recsea, because there is no vignetting at the widest zoom setting - you have a larger angle of view, which is what you want so you can get closer to your subject.

Scott

Some useful information in this thread! Thanks everyone... I am starting from scratch, so I can choose pretty much any combo - which is not necessarily a good thing! - but I just don't want to get the wrong kit now and regret it later. I thought the RecSea S95 + Inon UWL-100 28AD would be best for me as I'm not sure I need ultra-wide, I don't do wrecks or close-quarters stuff, but if I needed the extra field of view, I could add the dome port. I like that its designed for a 28mm camera, no need to zoom. But re-reading Nemrod's lens shootout, I realise that makes for quite a heavy combo, probably twice the UFL-165.
I definitely want bayonet lenses, and I would have macro lenses for the small stuff.
Swings, roundabouts, slides and see-saws (if you get my drift)!
-Durwin

Durwin,

I would recommend you consider the UFL165AD. If you get the UWL100 28AD, you will want to get the dome and end up spending another $400.

Optically, the UWL100 28AD/dome combo seems to be better that the UFL165AD. It is also twice the cost. My friend has one and it did not seem that bad size wise.

I have the UFL165AD and had to get used to some lens flare because of the smaller dome. Yes, you have to zoom in to 35mm but that just brings it back to the field of view it was designed for.

The UFL165AD will vignette with the Recsea S95 housing, the Dyron 16mm fisheye lens will not vignette.

If you zoom into 35mm the UFL165AD will not vignette, like Ozziworld said, but then you will not get the same angle of view as with the Dyron fisheye.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom