Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know how to contact Cayman Diving Lodge? I have tried several ways that have all failed.

Sorry no, but if you can find a phone number it is sometimes better to call Cayman businesses (the 345 number) instead of using email; if you have skype on your computer it will be an inexpensive call.

But I don't know of any shore diving on Cayman's East End - although there is good snorkeling near Rum Point.

Last edited:
IIRC Cayman Dive Lodge got wiped out by Hurricane Ivan. There was talk of rebuilding something (more expensive) there but not sure anything ever happened.

I had a student go to CDL a couple of years ago. They rebuilt as a timeshare but still have 12 public rooms and a dive operation. The 800 number I tried didn't go through. The website edit date is 2018.

I had a student go to CDL a couple of years ago. They rebuilt as a timeshare but still have 12 public rooms and a dive operation. The 800 number I tried didn't go through. The website edit date is 2018.

That's interesting! This site says that the new CDL is luxurious and NOT all-inclusive and that the accommodations range in price $125 to $200 per night, which is good for Cayman rental properties, but it doesn't include food or diving; and they don't mention airport transfers and it is a long and expensive cab ride out to the East End - but you could arrange a vendor to provide van service for transfers. As far as I know there is no shore diving on that end of the island, but you could arrange an excursion to do shore diving on the west side of the island.

Grand Cayman Hotel Information - Cayman Diving Lodge

Last edited:
If travel time is not an issue, Philippines would fit the bill. I’m not sure how much airfare is from where you are, but it costs me the same to fly to the Caribbean as it does to fly me to the Philippines. You can find dives, including guides, for $25-30 easily. If you have a large group you can probably do a boat charter with a local shop and negotiate better rates as well. Lodging and food is really inexpensive once you land - cheaper than the Caribbean for sure. There are lots of all inclusive options out there and you can get a few free of charge spots.

Reactions: Doc
One of the problems you will have is finding a dive operation that will allow you to do the instruction. It is not as easy as you might think.

A while ago I certified two friends, and after scouting out how to do that, I chose Akumal in Mexico. The reef is close to shore, so everything is done in one-tank dives. Most of the sites hafe diving within OW class limits. You have access to nearby cenotes for dive options as well. I called several operators, and only one would allow me to do the instruction. The others said their insurance would not allow it. Fortunately, the one I could use was right on the beach at Akumal Bay, and we were staying right there as well. On one of the dives, my students and I were the only ones signed up, so they did not send a DM--they just had me control the dive. It was all cheap and easy.

I once led a group trip to Cozumel, and I was also allowed to do my own instructing for a couple of the people. That was normally not an issue, but on one occasion I had to take a dedicated boat trip for OW dives (Which are, of course, shallower than typical Cozumel dives), and they said i had to have one of their instructors along, and we were charged extra for that.

My regular resort is Royal Playa in Port Royal, Roatan. It doesn't currently have a website because central camp was sold and a new place being built next door. Flight, all inclusive stay and custom unlimited diving is about $1500. (That is a special rate for our group.) It is far away from the tourist trappings of the West End and there is no escaping because there are no roads to the resort. Its boat access only. No TV, no phone, no internet (generally) and no AC. It is truly an unplugged location where the main entertainment is each other. I know I've been severely spoiled and will not likely find an equal, but I'm not even sure how to approach the search.

I just found this place in Panama which is very close, but it appears they are closed during the week we are looking at. Al Natural Resort – A magical place in complete harmony with nature. This is what I'm looking for.

Back
Top Bottom