Inexperience resulted in OOA at 66 feet (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The diving was in Varadero at the resort dive shop.

When I asked the DM after the dive what the "rules" for ascent were based on air consumption he replied with "as soon as someone gets to 500 psi, the entire group ascends together". That sure isn't what happened though :wink:

Thank you all for the great advice! I'm off to read up on "rock bottom" times :)

Come on you guys...you paid for and used a full tank...what's wrong with that???

:D

Major yikes! Good job on keeping it cool headed. I'm glad you learned so much from this and everyone is alright.

UDaMang:
The diving was in Varadero at the resort dive shop.

When I asked the DM after the dive what the "rules" for ascent were based on air consumption he replied with "as soon as someone gets to 500 psi, the entire group ascends together". That sure isn't what happened though :wink:

Not only that, but it isn't a good rule. If you were down at 70 feet with you at 500 psi and something happened to your buddies air (free flow, burst disk, o-ring, whatever), you wouldn't be able to make your stops.

And the DM doesn't even understand the 500 psi rule -- it isn't 500 psi at the bottom, its 500 psi back on the boat as the rule...

Thank you all for the great advice! I'm off to read up on "rock bottom" times :)

Rock bottom will help you out a lot. Also learn how to figure out your SAC rate while you're actually doing a dive. With an AL80 you should be using about 30 psi/min per atm. So 60 psi/min @ 33 ft, 90 psi/min @ 66 ft, 120 psi/min @ 100 ft. Try to track your air consumption at 5 or 10 minute intervals to see if you're coming in above or below these numbers...

This incident highlights the one thing that I REALLY think should be taught and stressed ad nauseum in OW classes. I've experienced a similar feeling of assuming the person who is in the lead is going to take care of you. I learned quickly that isn't the case. So many people assume, and don't speak up, and rely on others only because "well, they're the leader...". To me, the most important component of safety is whether or not the diver is bold, assertive and uncompromising about his own safety.

And we were never taught "rock bottom" in OW class. First time I heard it was here.

mccabejc:
I've experienced a similar feeling of assuming the person who is in the lead is going to take care of you. I learned quickly that isn't the case.

Agree. I learned it on my very first post-cert OW dive after the insta-buddy I was following indicated he was "lost" underwater, while I knew exactly where we were and which direction we needed to go. I ended up taking over that dive, and the one following.

This happens way more than we realize, and it's amazing how a group of three can continue to make the wrong decision together. I've been there, done that. Anyway, good lesson learned and thanks for posting it. Rock bottom pressures should be part of every dive plan. It's also nice to carry a slate in order to comunicate more effectively in times of need.

WOW, good post and good lessons learned huh.

I guess the biggest thing is dont trust anyone to make your descisions for you, especially people in remote diving locations who may be professionally trained divemastres, or may be complete idiots that can swim.

Dont forget, as a diver you will be carded in many places. You also have the right to card your DM. If he gets offended, get a DM that doesnt.

Good to hear you learned a lesson and survived, but I'm wondering if there is more to the lesson you learned, did you assign a responsibility to your DM that he or she was not aware of?

Did you and the DM plan the specific details of your dive plan together. During your briefing did the DM plan a single dive plan for all divers? In most cases a DM doesn't plan for you, they only provide info to help you make decisions about planning. You had a buddy, you were aware that you were running low on air, but you chose not to act, and you placed the burden of your own dive plan and safety on someone else.

Did you discuse this problem with the DM after either of the dives. Could be that your expectations of roles and responsibility may not match what the boat owner/cptn has actualy assigned to the DM. I would suggest that on your next trip, talk to your DM and get a clear understanding of what his or her role is, and what you are responsible for. One thing that never changes is that you are always responsible for your decisions, not just when to end a dive, but also if you should make the dive at all.

There is an old saying, if your buddy jumped off a cliff would you go along? In this case you put one foot over and hoped someone else would stop you. The point of my post is not to flame you so I hope you don't take it that way. The point is to make sure you clearly communicate with your DM and that you both have a clear understanding of who's responsibility is what.

Geek

Lamont for President !!! My hats off to Lamont for introducing me to the specifics of "rock bottom". I found the LONG post elsewhere on this board describing the method for calculating rock bottom and it makes immense sense. And he boils it down to the typical rock bottom figures I'll be using henceforth and hereafter.

Excellent...yes, excellent....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom