Inflatables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthony Appleyard

Contributor
Reaction score
Every inflatable-type diving boat that I have seen for a long time has been a RIB. Does the old-type inflatable boat with a flexible floor still exist? Do many scuba divers use them?

Every inflatable-type diving boat that I have seen for a long time has been a RIB. Does the old-type inflatable boat with a flexible floor still exist? Do many scuba divers use them?

Of course they do and yes they do.

I am of the mind you are confised as to the difference between a RIB and a roll up boat possibly? Roll up boats often have aluminum or wooden or composite (fiberglass) floors with wooden, composite or inflatable keeps. The bottom itself is fabric stretched over the keel. The "floor" in such boats is very solid and entirely suitable for ocean use. These boats usually run engines from 25 to 90 horsepower. The Zodiac Futura, Bombard Commando, various Avon etc. utilize these designs. They can be carried on a trailer and broken down during the off season. Since they are lighter than a RIB, Rigid (hull not floor) Inflatable Boat, they can also launch straight from shore using "landing gear" or removable wheels.

There are two additional catagories, soft bottom boats that have an inflated bottom cosniting air tubes running fore and aft common to low powered craft and tenders and a third type which substitutes a high pressure inflated floor in lieu of the wooden/composite/aluminum floor.

N

Last edited:
The old type of inflatable that I was familiar with here in England had a flexible floor and when deflated could be rolled up. With inflated it was kept rigid crosswise by a foldable removable thwart.

The old type of inflatable that I was familiar with here in England had a flexible floor and when deflated could be rolled up. With inflated it was kept rigid crosswise by a foldable removable thwart.

Those are of the "two additional" catagories I mentioned. The old Metzler was of that type and I think it is long gone, they were nice boats. Those flat bottom inflatable floor boats are mostly used for low horsepower applications in the smallest of boats. Having a V bottom held by a inflarable/wooden/fiberglass keel and a solid wooden/aluminum or glass floor is so much stronger and versatile. The floor pops out so the boat can be rolled up.

Soft floor boat like your asking about sans transom:

68264991.jpg

RIB:

ZodiacMedline1.jpg

High performance roll up boat with rigid floor system:

zodiac_futura21.jpg

My 1984 Novurania Cancuro 420, 25 to 50 horsepower, rigid wooden and aluminum floor, rolls up and fits in the trunk of a hatch back. I shot this pic after refinishing the floors and other items in my basement a few winters ago. I need a new engine for it.

DSCF0469.jpg

My Boston Whaler, sure is nice not having to blow it up:

P6150430.jpg

N

Those are of the "two additional" catagories I mentioned. The old Metzler was of that type and I think it is long gone, they were nice boats. Those flat bottom inflatable floor boats are mostly used for low horsepower applications in the smallest of boats. Having a V bottom held by a inflarable/wooden/fiberglass keel and a solid wooden/aluminum or glass floor is so much stronger and versatile. The floor pops out so the boat can be rolled up.

Soft floor boat like your asking about sans transom:

68264991.jpg

RIB:

ZodiacMedline1.jpg

High performance roll up boat with rigid floor system:

zodiac_futura21.jpg

My 1984 Novurania Cancuro 420, 25 to 50 horsepower, rigid wooden and aluminum floor, rolls up and fits in the trunk of a hatch back. I shot this pic after refinishing the floors and other items in my basement a few winters ago. I need a new engine for it.

DSCF0469.jpg

My Boston Whaler, sure is nice not having to blow it up:

P6150430.jpg

N

Geaux Tigers

LSU Tigers, national champion college football team, like it or not, the SEC is THE conference. The talking heads were saying last season that Ohio would beat the Tigers, in what universe? Ohio plays wuss teams, LSU plays real football against tough teams.

N

Nem-

That Cancuro is just beautiful. I'd be afraid to put that in the water for fear of scuffing those floors. Really attractive. I just purchased a new (never used, just in stock as the new model is the 350) Ocean Runner 340 which serves as a backup boat for my primary ride on Utila. It will have a 15hp Yamaha on the back and should be alot of fun for those two person dive days.

The stock photo of the new RIB
OceanRunner340.jpg

My main ride

Tand01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom