Inflater hose came off... what could happen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, if you are upside-down, the BC will hold SOME air - the amount will be determined by the volume of the BC, and how much resistance there is to inflation (this is one of the arguments against restraining bungies). However, it is unlikely that someone who pulls off their inflator hose will do so in the inverted position, and by the time they realize what's happened, the BC is probably empty or near-empty.

As far as controlling a feet-first ascent, I certainly wouldn't want to do it myself (in a dry suit)! But I'm sure Uncle Pug has done it at some point. :)

I'll add to what BrianKon said. Pull-dump LPI hoses are an accident waiting to happen. I mean, really? Pulling on a hose that is only zip-tied into position?

It's a design triumph of convenience over safety...

What you experienced was a serious kit malfunction, that represented a serious risk to yourself. Your instructor attempted to 'convince you that all was OK'. It wasn't. Be wary of dive pros who attempt to brush off serious issues. It is precisely that attitude that leads to kit issues occuring in the first place. I don't think I need to spell out how I would assess that sort of 'professionalism'...

I feel similarly. Feels like the instructor passed off a malfunctioning BCD to me who was unknowing and really just wanted to get my cert taken care of like the other 8 students. My second time in the water with it, this time with their zip tie fix just kept not siting well and that growing feeling of not trusting the equipment grew too high and I got out and let the class finish dive 2. After flat refusing to get back in with it, the instructor and DMs finally found another BCD and what kept echoing in my head now 4 days later is him apologizing a couple times later. Made me think after he thought it through he should have taken it more seriously and not zip tie rigged it.

But I now know I could have dumped my weights once at the surface and swam back more easily if needed. Such a simple idea that didn't occur to me while struggling at the top not fully understanding what what happening to my BCD.

I know you were there and I wasn't, but I wouldn't be so quick to sandbag the instructor for attempting a repair. That's a pretty standard and acceptable response IMHO. He didn't tell you to suck it up and dive broken gear. He tried to fix it and when his fix didn't work found other gear.

But, if his attitude was sour about the whole thing then I think you should be a little upset about it.

Also, don't be upset about him using a zip tie. There is a fair chance that's what the factory used too. There are quite a few zip ties on scuba gear.

Na look he's not a bad guy I just didn't mesh with him and it's less his fault than the shop's issue of not providing decent gear. The BCDs weren't the only shady thing.

Back
Top Bottom