Info about Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was orignally poseted on my thread "Water temp. of Kauai in Jan.", but you (asscubagirl) may not be following that, so I repost it here
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Aloha, aascubagirl, thanks for your response, and I just came across your post in another tread "info about Kauai", which is quite helpful. In fact, I would like to accept your advice of trying a shore dive with Aquatic Adventures. My stay in Kauai is from Jan. 11-19, and the last three days I am pretty much free, so do I need to book in advance, and how much will it cost? I am certified, but not going to bring the heavy grears (ie regulator, BC, and weight), so I need to rent them. I would also like to do boat dive and snorkeling, any suggestions? Thanks!

Ruey

Awesome! I just logged on for a minute but I will post or pm tomorrow w/info about diving, snorkeling, etc. Talk to you soon :O)

Hello? I am still waiting for some response, and my plan is leaving within 40 hrs!

Hello? I am still waiting for some response, and my plan is leaving within 40 hrs!

Like I said in the other thread, I'm going to be there much the same time as you. What I'm planning on doing (since my dive time is going to be determined a day or so after I get there) is show up, make a stop by the shop as soon as I get a chance and check it out. I haven't ever been to Kauai, but normally with one or two days notice, most shops shouldn't have a problem fitting you in. Certainly not for a shore dive, since one DM can probably get three of those in per day. Good luck, and maybe I'll see you there.

Aloha Ruey!

I just sent you an email w/all the info you requested but I forgot to address your questions about boat diving and snorkeling. There is some fantastic snorkeling in the Poipu area, starting with Poipu Beach and we'll be happy to get you directions once you get here. Also, for boat diving - it depends upon what you look for in a boat diving company for me to give you the best recommendation. I can tell you what I look for in a company though...small groups, detailed briefings, a guide who knows what they are doing and don't race around in the water, and excellent customer service.

If you are staying in the south shore (Poipu/Koloa) area, Fathom Five launches right out of Poipu so it is very convenient. They also run smaller boats so the max group size is usually 6. I am a big fan of small groups! They also work hard to never mix skill levels so you will usually end up with folks with similar diving backgrounds. I know most of their DMs and DIs and I've never had anything but a fabulous time diving with them. Excellent customer service as well.

Bubbles Below is another great company but they launch out of Port Allen so factor that into your schedule. Linda, the owner, is a walking encyclopedia of marine life and she does a great job of teaching her crew so that whomever you dive with, you will have an in-depth and very informative (but fun!) briefing on the aquatic life you'll be seeing. I've always had very positive feedback from our divers that dive with them. If you dive with them, we can get you set up with rental gear for your dive. I've never dove w/SeaSports so I don't have a recommendation there.

Hope all this info helps! We look forward to seeing you soon :O)

Like I said in the other thread, I'm going to be there much the same time as you. What I'm planning on doing (since my dive time is going to be determined a day or so after I get there) is show up, make a stop by the shop as soon as I get a chance and check it out. I haven't ever been to Kauai, but normally with one or two days notice, most shops shouldn't have a problem fitting you in. Certainly not for a shore dive, since one DM can probably get three of those in per day. Good luck, and maybe I'll see you there.

Aloha, Breken! Look forward to meeting you :lotsalove:. The weather is looking fabulous!!!

Hi aascubagirl and Breken, thanks for the information, see you there!

Cheers, Ruey

The diving on Kauai is world class. Yes Kauai is affected by the weather as many other world class diving locations are. I have dove the Big Island, Maui, Oahu, Palau, and the Monterey Bay and Kauai is still my favorite place to dive. I'm sorry your dive experience on Kauai was during one of our rare bad weather events. I've been on Kauai for 20 years and a great month to visit is May or beginning of June.

Aloha Nmbonfire, Great diving in Kauai the end of March. Most diving will be on the southside of Kauai the end of March. Water temps range 74-76degrees F. Average visibilty from 40-100feet. Last year i conducted a tour at Tunnels(northshore dive) the end of March but hard to say if it can happen while you're here. I work at Fathom Five and we dive shore, boat and northshore when possible. Our shop is located in Koloa/Poipu area and we specialize in small groups and customer service. The humpback whales are visiting and most likely you'll hear them singing whlie you dive!

Aloha nmbonfire! Bubbles Below Scuba Charters offers south shore boat diving as well as long range dive trips to the NaPali Coast as well as Niihau year round, weather and surf permitting. March can offer fantastic diving at Niihau with so many whales and mantas. You should consider giving them a call and see if they are going when you are here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom