INFO: Can someone please elaborate on the rules for lobstering aside from size in MA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gauge lobsters right when you grab them, check for eggs, really check for V-notch (on any flipper), 0 tolerance policy in mass. you can get a fine even for a tiny notch - be careful.

Good Luck catchin' some lobstah's.

sJjBhA1

hmm...my experience with the EPO has always been completely friendly and I've found the rules to be perfectly clear. They have to be measured before leaving the water (at depth is the smart way), must be within the minimum and maximum size from eye socket to carapace (BOTH sides must conform), don't take eggers, and don't take anything that has a notch in one of it's rear fins or damage to one of the rear fins that could obscure the V-notch.

Have you experienced an officer adding more rules than that?

Oh yeah, if you have a body part (claw, arm, tail), you need to have the lobster that it belonged to.

hmm...my experience with the EPO has always been completely friendly and I've found the rules to be perfectly clear. They have to be measured before leaving the water (at depth is the smart way), must be within the minimum and maximum size from eye socket to carapace (BOTH sides must conform), don't take eggers, and don't take anything that has a notch in one of it's rear fins or damage to one of the rear fins that could obscure the V-notch.

Oh yeah, if you have a body part (claw, arm, tail), you need to have the lobster that it belonged to.

Aaron, Do you have a link to something in writing about both sides conforming? Reason I ask is that we had an EPO (the same one that boards us just about weekly in Plymouth at the boat ramp) measure a lobster and find one side short, the other side OK, and tell us that we only need to have one side measure out. We've operated on that principle since then.

Your summary of the rules are somewhat conservative - which is a good thing here, but just to be clear, as long as one side measures legal, it is ok (told that 2 diff times by EPO) and it is only a v-notch or obiteration on the first flipper to the right of the center one when the lobster is facing away from you that you need to be concerned with. Also don't forget all of the rules about lic # on tanks and flags, etc.

Your summary of the rules are somewhat conservative - which is a good thing here, but just to be clear, as long as one side measures legal, it is ok (told that 2 diff times by EPO) and it is only a v-notch or obiteration on the first flipper to the right of the center one when the lobster is facing away from you that you need to be concerned with. Also don't forget all of the rules about lic # on tanks and flags, etc.

I have been told by more than one EPO that you need to measure on both sides, so I definitely err on the side of caution. Plus, I really don't care enough to bring that small a lobster home.

The license # on tanks and flags I have found to be 1) dumb 2) not enforced, but you are right...technically, you must have your license # on your flag and your tanks for some idiotic bureaucratic reason. I have it on my flag, but refuse to deface my tanks with information that provides no use underwater. :)

The license # on tanks and flags I have found to be 1) dumb 2) not enforced, but you are right...technically, you must have your license # on your flag and your tanks for some idiotic bureaucratic reason. I have it on my flag, but refuse to deface my tanks with information that provides no use underwater. :)

It's so they can ID you when they are setting up the ambush and looking through the binoculars from the bushes a half mile away...:wink: ha!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom