info metal detector

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrifterEd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone recommend a metal dector for use on beach and underwater. I've seen both Fishers (pulse 8 etc) and heard about one called excalber? Any info will help. Thanks in advance to all replies...

First off, there are 2 fisher companies. One is Fisher, the other is JW Fisher. JW make THE best UW detectors out there. Now if you want to use it both on land and UW, then the Excaliber (by minelab) is the best choice. There are other less expensive amphibious detectors like the Whites PI pro models too.

Now dont think that the cheaper (still $500-700) are bad choices. The top brand companies all put out great machines, but the JW and minelab are considered to be the best.

If you are planning to use this UW or on salt-water beaches, DO NOT buy a VLF machine. These are unstable and lose a lot of performance in a salt environment. You must get a pulse induction (PI) machine for this. Look in the phone book under metal detecting and talk to your LDS (local detector shop :D ). They can answer any questions you have. Or post them here. I've been detecting for almost 20 years. I may not know it all, but I do know alot.

FD

I have the whites surfmaster 2 for fresh water and white sand beaches and the whites surfmaster PI for salt water and black sand. I have had great luck with both but would say if you were only going to get one for scuba then go with the PI. Its about $700 new and $500 used on ebay

Hello
I have owned both machines, and have used them for a number of years. First, to clear up information from one of the earlier posts: the JW Fishers is indeed a PI but the Excalibur is a VLF, specifically, what Minelab calls BBS(Broad Band Spectrum).
There are pluses and minuses of both. The Fishers is the most rugged detector that I have ever seen or used. It is also the deepest seeking detector that I have ever used.
That being said, it also has absolutely no discrimination at all so if you will dig everything, including nails which will drive you crazy. If you are planning to use it on land at all, forget about it. I ended up selling it and bought the minelab which is a fantastic machine, albeit more flimsy than the fisher machine. The discriminition is great. It may not go as deep, but if I had to go one more time where I saw my buddies digging one good target after another with the minelabs, while I dug a foot down for a nail I would have gone nuts!

Garrett makes a quality metal detector. They do have amphibious and UW models too.
Brand debates with detectors are just like scuba brands. Garretts aren't my choice for detectors, but I wouldn't tell you not to buy one.

FD

Go to www.kellyco.com or call 407-699-8700. A very large distributor.
I've owned Fishers, Surfmasters, and Minelab Excalibers. For my money the Suftmaster out performs all of the others I've owned. I have yet to find anything with the Excaliber underwater. It's been back to the shop 3 times. Here is a couple of our Surfmaster finds.

These treasures were found on the 1715 treasure fleet off Sebastian, FL summer of 2004. We were blown out the summer of 2005.

Fire diver & Metaldector - thanks for the info. Ah - the 1715 fleet! Finished Robert Marx book about the great Galleons a couple weeks ago, then took the labrador for a run on the beach & didn't we run into a couple folks using detectors. The dog wanted to chat up the people so we spent some time talking & tried out their toys while the dog snapped at the waves & foam. Figure I can keep the kids occupied with the thought of finding a few coins or a lost watch on our beach strolls, finding treasure as you have simply amazes me. We eat most of the 'treasure' we find around here - bugs or tog or sell the occasional danforth hauled up. Good luck in 2006!

metaldector:
I've owned Fishers, Surfmasters, and Minelab Excalibers. For my money the Suftmaster out performs all of the others I've owned. I have yet to find anything with the Excaliber underwater. It's been back to the shop 3 times. Here is a couple of our Surfmaster finds.

Wow! you mean to say you use the VLF surfmaster while diving? Or do you hunt the beach? I took both my surfmaster2 and my PI pro last time I went to the ocean. The difference in capabilities in the water was awesome. Not that the SM didnt find things, but the PI found so much more.

FD

We don't hunt the beach except after a hurrican. As for the Surfmaster "The PI Pro is definitely made for treasure hunting in the water. This detector is great for snorkling, diving, wading and can handle any kind of water environment down to 100 feet."

We dive off our Boat with a blower under it to clean a hole about 20' x 15' in the sand to located treasure. Here are a couple of more photos of the boat and the Surfmaster.

Back
Top Bottom