Info on Deadman's/Deadhenge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI,

Deadmans reef;

For many years this reef was unknow to the general diving public and was the private domain of a selected few Orange County divers. It was a very productive reef for shell fish and pelagics in the formulative years of the sport. Because of its distance from shore it was an area whch generally could be counted on for clean clear water and very few if any other divers.

In 1970 the first dive guide for SoCal was produced titled 'Diving West,' With Ron Merker and my self as the major OC contributors. We had several long discussions if the then almost unknown Deadmans should be inclided in the guide, it was, at that time just too far for the ill equiped but certainly better qualified diver of the era. So we listed it as an advanced dive, and Advanced dive it has remained. However I agree with "Rakkis" it is advanced on two counts distance to swim, depth and possibly the third factor, open water enviroment

I am not positive but I think it was Ron Merker who gave "Dead Man reef" it's colorful name, long before most of you were born; Therefore to give credit where credit it do it should be Merker Reef.

About 1957 (50 years ago!) a group of divers, lead by Joe Armfeild (aka Jose Armpits, now Dr Armfeild) found a whale skelton on the reef, raised most of it and formed a very active OC club called the "Newport Whalers."

There are many many fringing protective reefs off of Orange county, known a select few antique divers which have been a secret for several gernerations and possibly will remain a secret until you, the current crop becomes more adventerous and explores the "unexplored."

There is one other idenified reef at Moss Street that Dale let out of the bag in his recent guide book. It is a little farther out and a little deeper and certainly does not have name as colorful as "Deadmans Reef."

SDM

Sam,
thanks for the history lesson. What great times it must have been exploring our local waters when things were cleaner and life was more abundant!
You can rest assured that there are still some adventurous younger divers who explore deeper, less known areas and still keep that information amongst themselves. But I think more people know about them these spots now, due to the population density, but keep the locations within their own groups.
I know that not many people are willing to dive some of the farther reefs at Brooks St. which is almost twice the distance from shore that Deadmans/Merker Reef is, but what a dive!

Jake:
I don't need the identity, but is the identity of the person/team who is doing this known outside of themselves? I'd love to talk to them (off the record, of course) should they ever pop up about the plans and motivation.
Outside of a handful of people, the builders identity is not known.
There are actually several builders, but they all take instruction and inspiration from one person. His motivation for building it basically boils down to the fact that he can. He moved a few rocks one day, the next week he moved a few more and there you have it. He would spend maybe 30 minutes or less moving rocks, do another hour or longer dive and come back the next week and do some more. It is really a seasonal thing. When the Halibut are around you can find him at Crescent, when lobster season rolls around he dives somewhere else.
The funniest thing about this is, I have been on the reef when it was being built, either watching or participating and there could have been half a dozen to more than a dozen other divers in the bay, some swimming past the action, and they never knew what was going on.
Picture this: Divers A, B and C are swimming out to their destination. At the edge of visibility, builder X runs by, perpendicular to A,B and C's direction of travel. A, B, and C may or may not have even noticed. Builder Y is coming of the reef with his cargo, stops so he does not run into above group. He waits for them to pass, maybe 3-4' away from them. Oblivious, divers A,B and C swim on as builder Y completes his journey to the end of the 'Henge with his load. This could happen 3 or 4 times during one dive.

A friend of mine has supposedly participated in it. Never got around to tagging along though :(

rakkis:
A friend of mine has supposedly participated in it. Never got around to tagging along though :(
PM me with your friends name and I'll tell you if they really did.

Robert Phillips:
Picture this: Divers A, B and C are swimming out to their destination. At the edge of visibility, builder X runs by, perpendicular to A,B and C's direction of travel. A, B, and C may or may not have even noticed. Builder Y is coming of the reef with his cargo, stops so he does not run into above group. He waits for them to pass, maybe 3-4' away from them. Oblivious, divers A,B and C swim on as builder Y completes his journey to the end of the 'Henge with his load. This could happen 3 or 4 times during one dive.

That's really funny. Imagine what else we don't see when we're diving?

Hi Sam,

It is greatly appreciated that you are willing to share some of the history of our SoCal coastline with us. It adds more color to an already colorful dive to know a bit about those that had been there before us.

Thank you.

Christian

P.S. I'm not sure how close or far you are from Heisler Park these days, but it would be great if you would join us at our monthly get together, which we've dubbed the Wrinkles Dive and BBQ. It happens to be at Heisler Park this weekend on Saturday, February 10th.

Back
Top Bottom