Info on Fiji diving conditions after cyclone Evan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefduffer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My sister/BIL we sometimes dive with got a wild hair about going to Fiji. This would be the first Pacific trip (other than CA) for any of us. After a little looking, it seems the warmest water is March & April, so we would be moving very quickly for us, almost panic mode, which I don't like. They are looking at Beqa Lagoon Resort based on a strong recommendation from their LDS. All good so far, and we're strongly tempted to go for it.

Then I see news about Cyclone Evan. Red Flags!
I'm less concerned about structure and infrastructure damage. Sounds like it's controlled, and if they'll book a package, we can probably deal with minor inconvenience.

But what I want to know is: How's the diving? Is the reef impacted? Are we spending (for us) big $$ on our first Pacific dive trip to blow bubbles on a silted-up reef?
Any information about current conditions would be welcome.

I think you will find that that area of Fiji was not very adversely impacted by Evan. However, I would not recommend spending a lot of time diving that Bega Lagoon. Other than the shark dives done by Aqua Trek and Bega Adventure Divers, the diving in the area is second rate by Fiji standards.

I am the US Representative for Naigani Island in the Lomaiviti group of islands. I would suggest booking Naigani or looking into diving the Somosomo Straights from Taveuni, the Bligh waters from Volivoli, or the Koro Sea from Namena.

If you would like information on Naigani you can PM me here or email me at naiganiusa@gmail.com

Hi
cbm32 is right in as much as there is no reef damage in the Beqa lagoon area or anywhere other than in the West of Vanua Levu, Yasawa and Mamanuca island groups and even here, there is little reef damage reported.

If you are coming for more than a week, then think about a 2 location stay. Beqa lagoon resort is fine but you might like the diving at Naigani or on the rainbow near Taveuni reef better or at least as an alternative. Naigani has the advantage of being closer and not requiring an internal flight.
If you are interested in Naigani, have a chat with cbm32. For Taveuni, there are loads of options for staying and diving depending on budget.

Let me know if you would like more information.
Cheers
Greg
aka Fiji_diver

Getting there

If you have a group going I would suggest letting us arrange a bus for you for the trip from Nadi to the Jetty. It would end up being much cheaper per person and you wouldn't have to worry about the baggage restrictions of the internal flight (that that the overweight charges are exorbitant, but they do add up for a group).

Michael B. Caro
US Rep for Naigani Resort
naiganiusa@gmail.com
Based in the LA area

Getting there

If you have a group going I would suggest letting us arrange a bus for you for the trip from Nadi to the Jetty. It would end up being much cheaper per person and you wouldn't have to worry about the baggage restrictions of the internal flight (that that the overweight charges are exorbitant, but they do add up for a group).

Michael B. Caro
US Rep for Naigani Resort
naiganiusa@gmail.com
Based in the LA area

I won't have group so the question remains.

If you click on "getting there" in my previous post, I think the page it takes you too explains it pretty well. If that doesnt suffice feel free to PM or email me.

Sorry I didn't notice that your "Getting there" was a link.

No problem. It was my error. I should have checked how it appeared after I posted it. If I had done that I would have seen that I needed to indicate it was a link as it was not clear that it was.

Hey guys, I just got back from 10 days at Naigani. i dont have time yet to write a detailed post on my vacation yet but feel free to pm me and i will get back to you as soon as i can. I will say quickly that it was a GREAT time diving ther. I got in 8 boat dives at Naigani and 2 shore dives there. Prices were great. I then did the shark dive at Beqa and though it was cool and fun to see the sharks I wasnt overly impressed though glad i did it. While at Naigani i saw alot of black and white tipped reefs. I went for the trip to Wakaya and Les (the Divemaster) and I saw a Hammerhead and swam with a sea turtle.
All in all it was a fantastic trip that I would reccomend to anyopne who wants to dive. The resort has alot of charm and is prob a 2-3 star hotel. Great atmoshpere and lots of charm. GREAT dives sites within a 10-15min boat ride. I was on 3 different dive boats while i was there for 10 days. Divemaster was always ready and willing to dive everyday I was there. I would have dove more if it wasnt my honeymoon and if my wife was a diver.
Again, It was a great dive and if everything is the same as when i was there you cannot be dissapointed with it. It was Incredible!!!! I was in Fiji Jan 4 to the 19th spending the first 10 days at Naigani.
PM me if you have any questions.
Mike

Back
Top Bottom