Info on Jim Sands memorial reef off cemetery beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lindsay37

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for someone who knows about the reef that was dedicated to Jim Sands, a victim of September 11th. I found mention of it in a local newspaper in Indiana, where Jim was from, but have not been able to track down more info on the site/dedication. I'm doing research on memorials nationwide that use the natural environment (including street trees, parks, gardens, forests, and now seamounts and reefs!). You can learn more about me and the project at www.livingmemorialsproject.net but I hope to find someone with more info. I can be emailed directly at lindsaycampbell37@hotmail.com or replied to here.

Thanks,
lindsay

Hi Lindsey,
I have been diving on the site that you've mentioned many times. It is a relatively newer shallow 50 ft. max reef site located a bit North out from Cemetary Reef in West Bay. I know this site as "Memorial Reef" and I"m pretty sure that's what the government has called it. Jim Sand's plaque is located right at the base of the mooring line.
I, in turn, would like to know more about Jim Sands. If you have more info on him, let me know. I'd like to let other divers know about him especially before we dive on that reef to fill them in. I didn't even know that he was from Indiana.
Casey

I spent the summer on GC last year and mostly went diving on the north wall, but I did have a few real nice dives on memorial reef with dive tech, including one where I got 8 minutes of video footage with an extremely friendly french angel who kept on kissing my lens and just stayed with me until I ran out of tape....then I put the camera down and swam with him/her until she went up and kissed my mask. Pretty awesome experience, real good site.

I'm going to get in touch with Jennifer Sands and I'll let you know if she decides to include the project in our National Registry, in which case I'll post the link here. Also, see her personal web page referenced in another post below.

Thanks for your help and interest.

My wife had the same experience with that Angel last year! We were diving with Keith and CaymanCase and the angel stayed under her arm for over 30 minutes and even followed us up through the safety stop.

One of the most memorable experiences in my entire diving life!

croyo:
I spent the summer on GC last year and mostly went diving on the north wall, but I did have a few real nice dives on memorial reef with dive tech, including one where I got 8 minutes of video footage with an extremely friendly french angel who kept on kissing my lens and just stayed with me until I ran out of tape....then I put the camera down and swam with him/her until she went up and kissed my mask. Pretty awesome experience, real good site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom