Initials carved in rock at Jackson Blue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kgault

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Diving at JB last night my buddy motioned me over to look behind the deco ledge (on the left in the cavern) to show me some initials carved in the rock. THe intials are:

JC

Pete is pretty sure he would have noticed if they had been there long, as that is his normal spot for deco (and we were there last week).

To the one who carved it: if we catch you, we will report you.

Keith

PS: JCSO is now taking cell phone numbers on the signin sheet to call those cave divers who have been forgetting to at least call and sign out; please keep their overhead low and remember to sign out.

Well that just sucks. There's already some stuff carved into various places there already, but you'd hope that with the availability of training and the widespread message of conservatism, alot of this would end.

I have seen a LOT of things carved in rock at the entrance...much of it pretty old. I really hope since it is so close to the entrance, that a non-cave diver did it. If any of us see someone damaging a cave...I say we take them for an immediate "lost line drill.":D

PS: JCSO is now taking cell phone numbers on the signin sheet to call those cave divers who have been forgetting to at least call and sign out; please keep their overhead low and remember to sign out.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with you completely...they have made things easy for us by getting rid of the keys for the gate. All we have to do is call and check out...heck, the number is right on our passes which should be sitting on our dash board anyways.

I agree with this whole thread.. Bugman is right. If they are trained in cavern / cave then they forgot about the conservation part of the training.. Maybe it was the treasure hunters that have been there lately.

Who is JC? Is he BACK? after 2,008 years? ....... Just Kidding..

I agree with you that it is VERY important to leave a place in the same condition as you see it. We, as divers, are able to visit and see places that have never been seen before.... When the next guy gets there, he or SHE should feel that they were the first to be there as well. That also goes with taking things from wrecks... Port holes and such... If the items will be displayed in a museum for NON-Divers to enjoy and to get a better understanding of the ship below then that is one thing but for people to strip the wreck to put a part of it in their house is another.... Take PICTURES and make LARGE prints of them and display them.

Carving initials in stone is as bad as in a tree..... Leave nothing but footprints (or Bubbles) and take NOTHING but pictures or memories!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom