Injuries and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDLE

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My 13yr old son fell off his skateboard on June 15, he ended up with a fractured skull, concussion, etc. He has made a full recovery and has been cleared for activity by the concussion clinic, ENT, and neurologist. Neurologist said my son was "probably" ok to dive, but honestly didn't know if the pressure would affect him. Any thoughts?

Don't just call DAN - if you're going to dive, join DAN as a member! They do awesome work and they deserve all our support.

Absolutely..... I stand corrected..... and I stand with stuartv. :)

Every diver benefits from DAN, and they do deserve our support!

Here's some general advice from Alert Diver, who are the "DAN" folks we generally trust a lot:
Alert Diver | DAN Medics Answer Your Questions about Dive Medicine: Summer 2011

That said, I had a concussion (hit by a boom on a boat, knocked out for about 10-15 minutes) and dived a few months later without incident as I recall. This was 12 years ago. I had some minor memory loss, and some vertigo. Both bothered me on land for a few weeks, but didn't seem to matter underwater. I was probably too casual about all this. With a kid, I'd be more cautious.

DiverDLE,

Apparently your son fell June 15, 2017, is that correct? If so, and there's was an actual skull fracture, I would be hesitant to allow SCUBA diving for six months after this injury.

I am not a doctor, but do have my MSPH degree, and also experienced a bicycle fall some years ago, with concussion, and subsequent dizziness. I was semiconscious for about 20 minutes after the fall, and do not remember events just prior to the fall, and until I "woke up" in the ER. I stayed away from any water activities for six months, and when I finally went swimming I went up to the lifeguards to tell them of my injury, the dizziness subsequent to that (which ebbed over time) and to ask them to keep an eye on my during that first swim, which they did. I was concerned about flip turns, and whether they would trigger a dizziness episode. They did not, and I had a good swim, then returned to diving, first again in the pool, then in open water.

Concerning your son, you have not described any of his symptoms, but a skull fracture is fairly serious, and takes months to heal fully, not weeks. Hence my thoughts on waiting six months.

SeaRat

PS, the ER doc told me that "...without a helmet, if I had been unlucky that day, I would have lived." The comment "No Helmet?" above is a good one. My helmet did its job, but was handed to me in a sack of helmet pieces.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom