Inner Space 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CCR Josh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Earlier today my father, brother and myself arrived in Grand Cayman for Inner Space 2010. For those of you who don't know, Inner Space is "is a phenomenal week EXCLUSIVELY FOR CCR - Closed Circuit Rebreather - Diving!"

Really looking forward to the deep (300+ ft) diving we will be doing all week, and all the lectures and presentations from various "big names" in CCR diving. Also the special study DAN is conducting that we hope to be a part of.

We will give you updates throughout the week, Inner Space officially starts on Saturday.

Been diving yesterday and today. One dive here at Cobalt Coast, and the other 3 at lighthouse point. Beautiful warm up dives for the coming week.

The highlight has to be seeing a turtle swim up from over 300 feet and as it passed us at around 220, it was caught in some fishing line. It was entangled all around its head. After it struggled for about 30 sec to get out, I was able get a hold of the line and Michael cut it. I felt very green ☺ Save the turtles! Actually it was a neat experience.

Inner Space officially started tonight with a little orientation and a great dinner. Over 60 participants this year! All these CCRs lying around are quite the site. Good thing they have a guard on duty this whole week.

Tomorrow we head out on the boat for some deeper dives- I’ll let you all know how it goes. Also tomorrow the nightly presentations start, should be very interesting.

Had a few good deep dives these last couple days. Just gradually working up to our deepest dive that will happen tomorrow or Thursday. We fly out on Saturday, so we will take it a bit easier on Friday. We did a 300 FSW dive today at Sand Chutes, it was beautiful. Very nice site for the long time spent in decompression. There is plenty to look at the whole way up. Swimming up the chute on the ascent makes it a bit more fun as well.

We have been participating in a DAN study while here. DAN has very little data involving deeper (200+ FSW) dives. We are wearing data trackers on the dive and then we have our hearts scanned with ultrasound every 20 min after the dive for 2 hours. Hopefully we will help them obtain some good data for the study. I have learned quite a bit talking with the doctors- about how visible bubbles do not necessarily mean you are going to show signs of DCS, what bubbles on different sides of the heart mean, using ultrasound to study decompression etc etc.

The highlight thus far, as far as presentations go, was Richard Pyle’s talk last night. The talk was about the very interesting history of the Cis Lunar CCRs. It is a lot of fun being here and getting to know some of these people better. I have met most of them, but now I get to have dinner with, dive with and ask questions to a lot of them as well.

Anyway, just thought I would share what is going on here at Inner Space with all of you who couldn’t make it.

Although it looks like no ones cares about Inner Space (on this forum at least....), I thought I would post some pictures that Doug Ebersole took of us during the week. It was a great week of diving- I look forward to next year!

Randy
4627728429_d9d27dbf02.jpg

Josh
4628330880_929a34d6a1.jpg

4627714863_764607e529.jpg

Lion Fish that is not supposed to be here
4628331288_ae34d8ea3f.jpg

Michael, Randy & Josh
4628331940_eb64eec546.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom