Inon D2000 v Inon Z240

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard H

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,

Me again.

1. What are the pros and cons of getting a Z240 v an Inon 2000 ? I have a canon G9 with WP DC 21 housing at the moment but want to buy a strobe. It appears to me that the Z240 comes with 2 diffusers, which if needed, narrows the price difference between the two, assuming the diffusers are needed. I have read that the Z240 is more scalable if I want to upgrade camera and it has true TTL capability as it can be cable fired. Excuse my ignorance on the matter.

2. What accessories do I need for the strobe ? i.e what batteries and what else do I need ...spare O rings etc..?

Thanks for your help,

Richard

I use 2 Z240's and always have the diffusers on. I feel it evens out the light. I only use the thinner of the 2. The main difference between the 2 is that the Z240 can be fired with a sync cord or fo cable while the d2000 can only be fired vioa a fo cable. As far as the Z240's TTL capabilities, it is only with film cameras. For TTL with a DSLR, you need a TTL converter. Both the Z240 & D2000 have sTTL which mimics the cameras flash via the FO cable and works suprisingly well. Alot of DSLR housing mfgs. are moving towards strobe firing via FO cables. That is what I am using right now with my D300 housed in a Seatool.

Both strobes require 4 AA batteries. I use rechargeable NiMH in mine. I also have 2 sets / strobe (8 batteries) so I always have a recharged set of 4. Both strobes also come with a spare o-ring.

You will also need a tray, handle, arms & clamps. I use ULCS and am quite happy.

HTH,
Dave

I have one of each. The biggest difference is the Z40 is grey and the D2000 is red. Sorry I couldn't resist. Actually the Z40 is slightly more powerful. I also uses diffusers on each. I had to buy the diffuser for the D2000 separately, it came with the Z40. Both are good strobes, I haven't had any problems except sometimes my focus light sticks on with the D2000. I also also take 16 batteries on trips but I've never run out of charge during three dive days, and the batteries easily charge during the evening so the extras are really just for backup.

I love my D2000s but I suppose if you have a camera with TTL then the Z240 would be your choice if money is no object. The D2000 would provide good results too is my bet using the optical sync.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom