Input on prime lens use - split from Tamron 17-50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fisheye and ultra wide lenses are, for most of us, our "working lenses" underwater. I'd say 75%+ of my (and many other photographers') uw wide angle photography is shot with a fisheye. You can get in close and force perspective against the blue background (or green depending on where you dive), and it allows you to capture the breadth of the environment around you, including the tonal ranges of water at varying depths.

I also like the ultra wide lenses with a small zoom range, but personally have much more fun shooting with my fisheye.

Get both if you can afford to, gives you the gamut of possibilities.

Primes vs zooms. Hmmm.

Zooms are nice, they do offer lots of flexibility u/w. However, I'd say most (80% ?) of the folks with them use them as a crutch.

By this, I mean that the purpose of a zoom is to allow you to select the perspective you want compositionally. This is wide-angle forground emphasis, or, long-lens combine forground with background. Or perhaps to allow wide-angle depth of field that combines forground and background, or, long-lens blow out the background focus.

After selecting the appropriate perspective, you use your feet (topside) or fins (U/W) to get the framing you want.

Unfortunately, most zoom users use it as a framing control, ignoring the perspective changes that happen as the lazily stay in place and rack the zoom in or out to frame the subject.

With a prime, you're forced to move around to frame, and this ain't neccessarily bad.

Other stuff about primes: you have to have a good idea of your subject material as you're selecting your lens for the dive. This is okay for me, I usually have a good idea of the shot(s) I'm shooting before hopping in the water anyway.

Generally, primes are faster and sharper. The faster is real nice through the viewfinder. I use the Nikkor 14mm 2.8 a lot, because my surface shooting makes me tend to rectilinear. There's those that love the 10.5 fisheye for underwater use, that's a personal preference thing, but again, fast and sharp.

If the tradeoff (being locked into a single perspective) is worth it for you, why wouldn't you shoot with a prime?

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom