input on some regs and octos ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TNdiver6387

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im no where near ready to buy anything yet, but im still looking around some and gettin an idea on what a setup is gonna cost me. I want to stay toward the cheap end, because i have a limited budget and probably wont dive much, but i dont want to sacrifice safty to keep it cheap. But around to the point.... do any of you have any experience with any of these regs or octos.

TUSA RS-130 Regulator
Mares R2 Rebel Regulator

Aeris Atmos Sport Regulator
Aeris A1 Regulator

XS Scuba Air Wave Inline Octo
XS Scuba Air Wave Octo
Mares Rebel Octo
Mares Brigade Viper Octo

Also (i know i should probably search for this, and will right after i make this post but..) what are your opinions on using the inline octos that attach into your power inflator. The way i understand it, when using those you would hand off your main reg, and use the octo your self. I like the idea of having less hoses hanging around, but im not sure if there are any major disadvantages to that type of system.
Thanks.

Out of what you have mentioned, I only have the Mares Brigade Viper (basically a Dacor Viper). I have made it a point to use this reg on certain dives just to see how it performed (usually the last 15-20 mins of a dive). I have not found any issues with this oc. at all and it performed rather well down to 130'. My primary is a Mares Proton Metal with V16 first stage. I am completely happy with my purchase. I got it through ScubaToys which is a sponsor of this site and I HIGHLY recommend checking out their site and contacting them if you have any specific questions. There are many regs out there that will perform awesome without having to spend an arm and a leg.

Wow, I just looked at the site and those look like some great deals. I was going to recommend looking at Dive Rite regs; I have them and think they are great. Definately one of the best values I have seen on regs. These look like solid deals though, and I am sure if scubatoys is selling them, they are pretty decent regs. Make sure to check Divesports.com too. They also tend to have alot of good deals. Its where I picked up my reg.

I would also throw salvo into your list of budget regs. I sell the aeris, and xs scuba on your list as well as the salvo. They all have great budget regs in their line.

Brent

I'll say this, consider getting a reg that can be easily serviced locally to you. Mares/Tusa/Aeris are all high quality regs, and as far as getting a good name and quality product, I don't think you can really go too wrong with any major equipment company. A lot of people end up just going with whatever company they have a personal affinity for (for me that's Zeagle), and what can be serviced easily if you need it. The other thing I'll add would be to see if it is possible to try out the regs you're considering, and have a first hand feel for them. That might make your decision easier, or confuse it beyond belief lol, but I do think try before you buy is a good policy whenever possible.

I have been hapy so far with my Genesis GS2000 and Sidekick octo. With a console it will run you about $400 - $500. Might be worth checking out.

Scubapro MK2 / R190 or R390 is your very best option!
Super reliable (its rental proof!) affordable and you can get service all over the world...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom