insane suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know I'm not even barely a newbie diver (we just started our PADI OW course) but I do know something about veg. oil :)

What eveyone said about the thermal properties... That why you sometimes use oil to cook with. The oil acts as a "conductor" and allows the heat to move into your food more quickly. The reverse is also true, if you were to coat yourself in oil then jump in water you would loose body heat more quickly than if your skin was just in the water, thus hypothermia would be a very real and very quick possibility, even in "warm" water.

I often wonder about a Sci-Fi idea that seems to come up in movies and books, that of a "gel like" substance used to insulate. Seems like you could sew in pockets of this "gel" into a suit (like a dry suit) thus getting more thermal protection... Interesting idea's, but I'll leave that stuff to the manufacters to work out :wink:

rottielover:
I know I'm not even barely a newbie diver (we just started our PADI OW course) but I do know something about veg. oil :)

What eveyone said about the thermal properties... That why you sometimes use oil to cook with. The oil acts as a "conductor" and allows the heat to move into your food more quickly. The reverse is also true, if you were to coat yourself in oil then jump in water you would loose body heat more quickly than if your skin was just in the water, thus hypothermia would be a very real and very quick possibility, even in "warm" water.

I often wonder about a Sci-Fi idea that seems to come up in movies and books, that of a "gel like" substance used to insulate. Seems like you could sew in pockets of this "gel" into a suit (like a dry suit) thus getting more thermal protection... Interesting idea's, but I'll leave that stuff to the manufacters to work out :wink:

Not quite right. Oils and greases are actually quite poor termal conductors. The good cooking properties of oil come from the higher temperature compared to water. Better though would be using artificial "sealskin" with "hardgreasealike" isolation. It would work like wetsuit without neoprenes compression problems but heavy at surface (10mm 19kg/40lbs). Anyway lead would be needed only 1-2kg/2-4lbs to compensate the suit boyancy..

Based on the following thermal conductivities (in W/m.K), you'd be better off farting in your wet-suit.
Air 0.024
Argon 0.016
Methane 0.03 :D
Machine oil 0.15
Olive oil 0.17
Water 0.58

TeddyDiver:
Not quite right. Oils and greases are actually quite poor termal conductors.
Compared to air, they're fantastic at conducting heat.

There's a reason heatsink grease and motor oil exist.

gfisher4792:
I know others will chime in with more in depth analysis, but as far as buoyancy issues, I believe oil floats on water, therefore a buoyancy issue.

Yes, oil is more buoyant than water, but the issue really isn't so much the actual buoyancy (as that is counteracted by proper weighting), but moreso the lack of compressability. This would mean that it's buoyancy wouldn't change with depth. At least that's the way I would view his comments.

So it is kind of relative. Oil is 7 times better conductor than air but water is 4 times better than oil. I have the image of a English Channel swimmer greasing themselves up...

miketsp:
Based on the following thermal conductivities (in W/m.K), you'd be better off farting in your wet-suit.
Air 0.024
Argon 0.016
Machine oil 0.15
Olive oil 0.17
Water 0.58

:rofl:

That's my method!

NERD NERD NERD NERD NERD NERD NERD NERD

miketsp:
Air 0.024
Argon 0.016
Machine oil 0.15
Olive oil 0.17
Water 0.58

NERD NERD NERD NERD NERD NERD NERD NERD

Sorry now that thats done with HUH?!?!?!?!?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom