Insel Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bethie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since we wanted to stay in Bonaire for more than a week (but less than 2) we booked our return ticket home from Aruba, assuming we would buy a one way ticket from Bonaire (via Curacao) to Aruba. I have lately been seeing so many stories about Insel Air cancelling flights, going out of business, being completely unreliable, etc.
Is there anyone out there in Scubaland that has any insight into the situation and any ideas of alternative routes to Aruba? This would be for late January. (hoping to shore dive with you folks attending the Surge. Hi!)
Thanks.

Insel appears to be struggling to stay in business. There are other local airlines that travel between the ABCs. DiviDivi Air, Dutch Antillean Air - DAE Air, TUI air.
Keep in mind that these smaller airlines may have weight restrictions or increased cost for scuba equipment as cargo onboard.
Best of luck with your trip.
Shore diving in Bonaire is fantastic.
Ricardo

Thanks for the advice but...
Divi divi does not appear to fly to Aruba. I cannot find anything about DAE (maybe out of business?) And TUI I only see flights to and from Europe. One time I flew Tiara air but I think they're defunct also.
This will be my fifth trip to Bonaire, and yes it is fantastic. Hope they get their air service together!
Insel appears to be struggling to stay in business. There are other local airlines that travel between the ABCs. DiviDivi Air, Dutch Antillean Air - DAE Air, TUI air.
Keep in mind that these smaller airlines may have weight restrictions or increased cost for scuba equipment as cargo onboard.
Best of luck with your trip.
Shore diving in Bonaire is fantastic.
Ricardo[/QUOTE

I saw an article this morning about the Curacao government stepping in on Insel's incompetence. Apparently Avianca is going to be involved in managing them. I believe DAE folded a few years ago so your only game other than Insel is Divi.

Here is the article: Bonaire Reporter

We were in Curacao in January. Big disruption going on the the airport when we were there waiting for our flight back to Canada. The disruption was passengers not able to board their flight. Was Insel Air. The plane landed and was damaged and the passengers had been waiting 4 days to leave. Seemed to be all local people from whatever small neighbouring island was there home. Was told by security the airline didn't have money for the parts and didn't have any spare planes to solve the problem.

I would never take a chance on Insel. Maybe you could hire a boat to ferry you. Other than that, can you move your departure to Curacao?

Here is the situation currently (posted elsewhere):
Bonaire Air Service Updates

• InselAir flights between Curacao and Bonaire continue daily, sometimes actually on schedule.

Talks with Avianca (Colombian) about a takeover are continuing following vacations. Results by the end of August are promised.

• InselAir hopes to have one of its big MD -80 jets back in service soon to be used for Surinam service.

InselAir personnel are threatening to strike, saying Management is not doing enough to resuscitate the airline

InselAir is not refunding money for tickets already paid for even if the flight schedule is changed and the passenger cannot make the flight. Refunds for tickets made unusable because of cuts and delays have not been made

Divi Divi Air is planning to expand capacity with a couple of Twin Otters which have about three times the passenger capacity of their existing Norman Islander planes towards the end of the year. Divi Divi flies reliably between Curacao and Bonaire.

Winair is adding a third weekly flight from St. Maarten to Curacao using Dominican PAWA jets.

United, Delta and KLM long-haul flights operating on schedule

Looking at FlightAware.com, there appear to be some flights scheduled from "SCAT Air" between BON and CUR. I'm not joking. That's the name. The airline ident is VSVR.

Going to Bonaire's airport webpage, they list departures for today with Divi Divi with the same flight numbers (017, 019). There seems to be a little confusion, which leads me to wonder how well the Bonaire web page is updated. I will look into it a little more...

Last edited:
Crap..., I wasn't looking at Aruba. Hold on...

You can fly to CUR on Divi Divi and then CUR to AUA on TUI.

You can fly to CUR on Divi Divi and then CUR to AUA on TUI.
Have you seen anywhere to book or even find flights to Aruba on TUI? All I could find were flights within Europe on their website. Also hoping Divi starts flying to Aruba by January. Thanks for your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom