Inselair website lists only 4 destinations now. Miami is not included.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Last edited:
I would be very cautious re. InsulAir. There has been an ongoing serries of reports on the meltdown and possible closing of InsulAir. The latest is in this issue of Bonaire Reporter (see also previous issues - this is a long term problem):

Bonaire Dutch Caribbean News in English

It seems as though maintenance is not being done, many of their planes have been grounded, flights are delayed or cancelled, sometimes for days, with travelers being left high and dry.

Divi-Divi also isn't a viable option as they have reduced carry-on to a single item of not more than 6.5 pounds and checked bags no more than 39 pounds.

Divi-Divi also isn't a viable option as they have reduced carry-on to a single item of not more than 6.5 pounds and checked bags no more than 39 pounds.
Excess checked luggage is charged at $1/kilo, so no big deal. The 39 pounds is not a limit, it is how much you get for free.

Actually, if you read their fine print, you can have excess baggage, but "Due to the limited availability of space on board our aircraft, you excess baggage might arrive on a later flight." When that happens depends on the fullness of already booked flights. Ain't necessarily the next flight. And if it happens on your return flight you might make the connection but your bags may not. Then what?

Just as well. That leaves fewer places for Insel to inadvertently send your bags instead of onward with you on your connecting flight. While I was boarding my flight from Curacao to Bonaire, Insel was sending my bag to Caracas. It took two days to be reunited with me.

InselAir is easily the worst airline I've ever flown. Flights between Aruba and Curacao were like sitting in a port-a-potty on a summer afternoon.

Layovers in Curacao on our first trip to Bonaire was looooong. Now we go from portland or boston to Newark or ATL, then direct to bonaire.

Back
Top Bottom