Insta-Buddy Briefing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grazie42:
I think the "social thing" is one of the most uderrated...just talking about past dives and divetrips will give you a good idea of the experience-level of your insta-buddy.
What I find most valuable about observing and chatting with others on the boat is not the experience level, but just general attitude. Through various minor incidents, I'm learned to trust my hunches and stay away from certain divers, even if its just a case of 'bad vibes" and I don't have any concrete, conscious reason for avoiding them.

Someone that has a big ego, is bragging and boasting, or someone that is rude and inconsiderate on the boat is most likely going to be a problem underwater.
Someone that is flustered, confused, and is scurrying back and forth trying to locate gear that is scattered all over the boat is going to be confused and unreliable underwater.

I much prefer to dive with a well intentioned newbie with some common sense than a very experienced diver with an attitude problem.

I actively try to look around the boat and pick out unbuddied divers that look like good candidates and approach them to buddy up rather than waiting for the boat crew, DM or Captain to pair me up.

So far, 20+ dives this year, the first thing I ask my insta-cohort is: "Can you get us back to the boat?" If he/she replies in the affirmative, I say: "Well, you are the leader and you need to take care of my *****." Then I point to my octopus with the yellow hose and say: "This is yours if you need air, what can I use in the same situation?" After that it is general stuff like: "Where you from, how many dives have you gotten this year, and do you want to have a couple beers after the dive and maybe share a hotel room for the week (depending on gender)?, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom