Installing Low Pressure Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrench on nut.
Thumb on the end of the wrench with the hose in it.
Index finger wrapped around the wrench.
With just the index finger, give the wrench a tug. Enough that the wrench presses firmly into the finger, but not enough to hurt yourself. Ever lift a gallon of milk with one finger? That is about 8 pounds of weight/force on the finger. So less than that. More like lifting a full half gallon with one finger.

More than finger tight, won't fall off (I know people who have had a second stage fall off during a dive)
But you don't have enough leverage or force in a single finger to hurt the hose end.

A quick note about the technical divers and 'hand tight' connections. First, the connection in question would be the 2nd stage to hose connection, not the 1st stage to hose. Nobody would ever remove the hose from the first stage underwater, unless, I suppose, a hose blew mid dive and you had a spare, which I have never seen anyone carry. Second, no cave diver I've ever met or heard of actually leaves 2nd stages hand tight, instead we all carry multi tools that would allow us to remove and repair parts if need be. And removing silt from a 2nd stage usually involves taking the cover off the 2nd stage to clean out the diaphragm, not removing the 2nd stage from the hose.

In all cases, make sure that all hose connections are slightly more than hand tight so they can't come loose by accident. Very simple.

Question.

If the primary second stage is screwed into the first stage, and the other end is in the diver's mouth, being used for breathing, when does this silt become a problem?

What am I missing?

Is silt getting into the connection of the second stage hose where it connects to the first stage?

Question.

If the primary second stage is screwed into the first stage, and the other end is in the diver's mouth, being used for breathing, when does this silt become a problem?
The grit gets inside the second stage at the mouthpiece end. It can float inside the valve mechanism and cause the valve to stick open and freeflow. Disassembling the cover as @halocline mentioned above allows you to remove the diaphragm, tap on the lever a few times, and "swish" out the sand to restore valve function.
Nothing gets inside the hose. This is all very rare, hence the "tec" discussion. Not something you'll have to worry about in Cozumel.

Thank you. And will definitely ensure that all connections are hand tight + a slight turn.

... And never, ever, "farmer tight."

i just go with finger tight all around. but then i have really strong fingers from so much mastur.... piano playing.

i just go with finger tight all around. but then i have really strong fingers from so much mastur.... piano playing.
You might want to refine your technique before you injure something.

Question.

What am I missing?

Is silt getting into the connection of the second stage hose where it connects to the first stage?

Only one of the 2nd stages is in your mouth, the other is attached to your body in some fashion, and as such the mouthpiece opening is open to the water.

However, it is VERY rare that silt gets in a 2nd stage and fouls the working of it. A quick purge and the silty water comes right out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom