Installing V-planner on Ubuntu - Please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeawags

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The other day I got fed up with Windows 8, and installed Ubuntu 13.10. I am a complete Linux noob, but I already like it better than Win8. I'm trying to figure out how to install V-Planner, and it says that I have to download the tar.gz file and manually install it. I successfully downloaded the file, but now what? Any help would be appreciated.

Total Linux newbie (and noob) myself, installed V-Planner on Fedora 20 few months ago, works fine. tar.gz is an archive file format. Open it with the archiver, it should do.

ahhhhh, after much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth, I found I needed to set the file permissions to "Allow Executing File as Program". After 22 years of Windows, Linux has a bit of a learning curve.

There's a program for linux systems called Wine that allows you to run windows executables (.exe) in Linux. Sounds like it's not needed here but may come in handy down the road.

Enjoy Linux! I've been using it as my primary desktop for over a decade and really enjoy the granularity of control and full-featured aspects of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom