Instructor for teen in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8jab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for an instructor and/or facility for my son in Cozumel. I've had some OK instructors and some not. Therefore, I'm searching to find the right instructor that will make it a positive and successful experience.

We live in the Pacific Northwest, never dive here, and do not want to.

For example, there was an instructor at Dive Tech in Grand Cayman that did the Jr. Open Water certification at Kids Sea Camp. Everything I heard and observed about him was great, including his teaching style, interactions with the kids, and combination of patience and control. I am seeking him via separate inquiries.

About my son:

1. Sixteen
  2. Former SASY and Seal Team at Kids Sea Camp
  3. Previously passed all pool skills, excluding mask flooding
  4. Previously passed online PADI eTest (with coaching from Dad)
  5. Can easily get frustrated and self-doubting

Our plan:
  1. Complete the PADI eTest online course again.
  2. At destination (Cozumel), do the following with the same instructor
    1. do pool/skills learning and practice.
    2. complete required OW dives
    3. do a few AOW / Adventure dives (buoyancy, boat, drift)
    4. hire instructor as a guide for a few dives
  3. Be happy and excited about diving more

Requirements:
  1. Excellent English skills
  2. Very small class size (pay extra for private, maybe)
  3. Supportive, encouraging, patient, and safe.
  4. Ability to use different methods to teach same skills.
  5. Proven history of excellence.
  6. Experience with teens or JR OW. They aren't just little adults.

Anyone know anyone, have personal experience, or think they can help, please let me know.

Thanks!

Matteo at Blue Angel. He's from Chicago so he sorta speaks English. :D

I have never dove with scuba tony but I have dove with his instructor Israel Rivera. He is a great teacher and great diver.

Who are you staying with?

I too am from the PNW, and like you.... I don't ever want to dive in that coastal water.

I've been twice now and I stay at ScubaClub Cozumel.. My first trip we had a 12 yr. old on the boat who was just getting certified. Most of the instructors speak decent English. And the boats are a great platform to dive from.

The other 2 I would be open to trying would be Aldora, or BlueXtaSEA.

Good luck, I know you will be hooked on Cozumel forever.... It sure got me!!! :)

Who are you staying with?

I too am from the PNW, and like you.... I don't ever want to dive in that coastal water.

I've been twice now and I stay at ScubaClub Cozumel.. My first trip we had a 12 yr. old on the boat who was just getting certified. Most of the instructors speak decent English. And the boats are a great platform to dive from.

The other 2 I would be open to trying would be Aldora, or BlueXtaSEA.

Good luck, I know you will be hooked on Cozumel forever.... It sure got me!!! :)

Yes, I've been to SCC before. I enjoyed it very much. Some of the guides/instructors there speak English with only a small accent. Others I struggle to understand, including the best guide I've ever had. I've had lots of experience around the world and am used to dealing with different accents. The worst was while visiting a Boston suburb, I really struggled! My son struggles with accents, and I want to minimize any non-scuba related difficulties. I think this trip/certification could be a make or break for scuba for him.

I would choose SCC for diving only, but if needed, we will stay elsewhere to accommodate getting a great instructor.

Have you thought about Roatan for your son's first/certification trip?

That is were I got certified back on 2008. The diving was a lot easier!! More Like a huge aquarium than the drift diving in Coz. It isn't as "Nice" as Cozumel in my opinion, but it was a great place to learn to dive. We used Anemona Diver's in West Bay (part of Foster's resort). I'm not sure if the same DMs and instructors are there still. The English did leave a lot to be desired however.

They were however very good at instructing me.... I had a lot of one on one instructor time.... I was the only one in the class (checkout dives). I remember Captain Morgan's had some Dms that spoke English rather well.

Just a thought....

Have you thought about Roatan for your son's first/certification trip?

That is were I got certified back on 2008. The diving was a lot easier!! More Like a huge aquarium than the drift diving in Coz. It isn't as "Nice" as Cozumel in my opinion, but it was a great place to learn to dive. We used Anemona Diver's in West Bay (part of Foster's resort). I'm not sure if the same DMs and instructors are there still. The English did leave a lot to be desired however.

They were however very good at instructing me.... I had a lot of one on one instructor time.... I was the only one in the class (checkout dives). I remember Captain Morgan's had some Dms that spoke English rather well.

Just a thought....

Thanks for the idea. I'll look into Roatan.

Another option I'm considering is Key Largo. We visit Florida frequently, so add-on a few days down south is possible. It is more expensive than Cozumel, but might be more comfortable for him (US and English). The wrecks are not in scope, but Molasses Reef was very shallow. I remember much less sealife (fish and stuff) than Cozumel or Cayman, but still should be good for certification dives.

I second Mateo at Blue Angel. I entrusted many students in the past to his care. He is also very good with the younger (teenage) crowd.

Back
Top Bottom