Instructor Good, Bad, Indifferent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Posted this at the end of another thread. Decided to move it to its' own thread.

Part of what has been recommended is to check with the rest of the community about any potential instructor. When I met Rich Courtney he was filling my tanks at Cave Excursions down the road from Ginnie Springs.

So, does anyone have any first hand knowledge about Rich Courtney as an instructor? Any recommendations?

Well, I hate for you to think everyone is ignoring you so I'll give ya a response of some sort. I didn't have Rich as an instructor but when I was getting my intro cert, he was working on his instructor rating and was working with my instructor. Since Rich has not been teaching too long, it may be harder to find students certed by him to get a response from. I've never seen him in the water but I know he is very knowledgeable about cave diving. He's super enthusiastic, holds cave conservation high, and seems to be well respected by the cave community. Hey, it's a start. Good luck with your training (you'll love it!).

i've run into him a couple of times, he seems like a great guy

sorry i can't be of more help

H2Andy:
i've run into him a couple of times

Andy....You ran into him????...I thought you've been working on your cave skills....:D

He is a diver of good skill with 500+ cave dives. He went through an NACD institute which means he had a lot of peer review. You may consider contacting Larry Green,the NACD training director since he would have signed off on him.

Thanks folks. You are correct I was starting to wonder whether I was being ignored, or whether he was so bad no one even wanted to tell me via PM.

My initial impression when meeting him last Sunday was very good. But, first impressions aren't a very good basis for selecting someone who is going to teach life safety skills. Especially when I was tired from a week of diving the Keys wrecks and from my first taste of caves.

As a former flight instructor I know that there are a lot of skills and judgement that are only learned by living and doing. With 500+ cave dives it seems to me he has the living and doing.

With the background you cite he certainly ought to be able to patiently teach.

He definitely is on the Short List.

ArcticDiver:
Posted this at the end of another thread. Decided to move it to its' own thread.

Part of what has been recommended is to check with the rest of the community about any potential instructor. When I met Rich Courtney he was filling my tanks at Cave Excursions down the road from Ginnie Springs.

So, does anyone have any first hand knowledge about Rich Courtney as an instructor? Any recommendations?
rich is a very cave conservation guy. I did my intro with bill.and rich was an intern.
hell of a nice guy seemed to know alot.
I remember reading his article in the nacd journal.
http://cavediver.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2197

then I took my class not knowing it was him until the conservation section there was no doubt after that.
As an intern his point of view was very helpful and to the point.
I liked him.

Hello,

I just finished my Cavern with Rich last weekend (Feb 24). In my opinion Rich is an outstanding instructor. Thorough, patient, and enthusiastic is how I would describe him. I would highly recommend him.

The Cavern class and the experience gained from being in "Cave Country" will only make a person a better diver.

On another note, if you are traveling with buddies, I would rent the "Cottage" at Ginnie.

Feel free to contact me with specific questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom